Thursday, May 26, 2005

25th May 2005

Hello Wayfarers

Nice to be out on a Wednesday again after my sojourns to Spain and France. We were down on numbers this week, due to many different reasons, but those that ventured out enjoyed a great day. Ray D and Ed S were unwell with chestiness, but Ed expects to be out again on Sunday and hopefully Ray will be, too.

Vic, Norman, Terry, Brian, Rob, Les, John S, Ray H and Phil arrived at Fleet on various trains, car and bike (30 miles from Barnes in Phil Marks' case - pity we lost him so soon) for Vic's away day. We went along lovely Hampshire lanes and villages to Old Basing, where after lunch we visited local antiquarian sites and hidden canal grottos en route to Fleet for our homeward journeys in time for the European Cup drama. I was out at a meeting and watched a thrilling recording from 05:30 this morning.

Thanks once again to Albert for finding time to record 'C' group's ride: Good weather; very little wind and dry. The sun came out later. Dave led nine of us from Hersham up the Burwood Road across the Seven Hills Road and through St. Georges Hill to cross the busy Byfleet Road and up Redhill Road. Being en route for Ripley. Harold, Beryl and I thought the intention was to go across the A3 at the road's end but we spotted Dave leading the others in through Kat's Kastle and turned back to follow. At this point Roger's rear mudguard started to disintegrate so a short halt was called for in order for a temporary repair. The path surface as far as the cattery is good apart from the speed bumps, but later became pretty hazardous with rough loose shale and later soft sand which had me down once more. We walked for quite a bit after that until we arrived at the car park on the Effingham Road where we took the cycle track along the A3 as far as the Ripley Road (the old A3). It has been resurfaced with fresh markings and the cycle path is as good as the road surface for once. We stopped at the Bakery and discussed the lunch venue. No one volunteered to join me at The Anchor so with Roger, John and Beryl, I lunched at the Bakery while the others went to the day centre. The intention was to have tea at Cobham but my return journey from Cobham is a pretty hazardous flog for a body of my advanced years, so I bade a fond farewell until next week and went my usual way home down Warren Lane and the Pyrford Road to West Byfleet, New Haw etc. By the way, I see Beryl has some new mudguards since our encounter a couple of weeks back. I hasten to add that I was nowhere near Roger when he lost part of his rear mudguard!!
All the best Albert.

Angie writes: Just love the feedback from the rides messages. It's 8:15 and I am one of the unfortunates sat at my desk, but the messages really brighten my otherwise boring day! I had hoped to be out to Newlands Corner but instead found myself cycling along the front at Worthing. Very windy, not very sunny, but pleasant. Sorry I missed all the action, but have laughed non-stop through the messages. Long may they continue! Will come out as and when work permits.
Pedal carefully, Angie x

Olleh Brian

No comments: