Thursday, October 13, 2005

12th October 2005

Hello Wayfarers and friends

That's it for another year - AGM done and dusted - a new name for engraving on the trophy - read all about it in the draft minutes - thanks for your vote of confidence - your comments on the minutes and on the next paragraph welcomed prior to firming up.

Regarding our annual Anniversary Lunch, I have contacted The Foley Arms PH: 106 Hare Lane, Claygate, a previous venue, and confirmed that they would be pleased to accommodate us for a £10 two course set lunch on Wednesday 1st March 2006. Meals would be served on plates collected from servery tables, not self-served. We would be accommodated in the separate "Hall" and numbers would be limited to 50 members. Sounds OK.

Our Indian summer came to an abrupt end at lunchtime yesterday, giving our gardens much of the water they craved. Despite wearing both rain-proofs, I managed to arrive home soaked through. I expect I was not the only one. As I made off for Tooting to deliver medical data, a big white van stopped on a lay-by at Sandown Park, pretending to have a go at me, but it turned out to be a greeting from our own Tony Hooker, who even in the pouring rain, said he wished he were out with the Wayfarers - he would say that from his dry cab, wouldn't he?

Vic, having wrested leaders duties from Ed, said 'A' group were off to Laleham - I've heard nothing more of them since.

Addendum:
'A' group ride report from Pete Mitchell

At least I can do something that Vic can't do ie send a report in! Due tochatting I missed the start but met up with Vic, Ed, Les, John, Ray, Rob,Pete, Tony, Frank C, and Jen at The Feathers at Laleham for a friendly welcome and good food. Upon leaving the rain hit us and the route to TheTilt Café at Hampton Court via the tow path made us very muddy due to an assortment of sandy puddles. I did mention that Judy's pristine new machine would need a good clean if 'B' group came this way!
[Thanks, Pete. Shame I missed what would have been a new-to-me pub - Brian]

After our AGM, 'B' group, a select and very clean six of us, set off led by Bernard in his maiden leader-role. For reasons best known to him there were no clues as to where we were going. Initially it was through the very posh private estate of St George's Hill, our exit was barred by an eight-foot gate, but - by magic - it opened for us. Then to the Basingstoke Canal and to the not-very-special Black Prince pub. So far it was nice and dry. After lunch it was wet, seriously wet. Back to the towpath where the puddles are already forming. Three more miles on that towpath then we cut across to the Wey Navigation and five more miles of puddles with a good many roots, pot-holes, etc. But we did have the compensation of seeing a Grebe. Anyway, we survived and no-one fell in the canal, but we were no longer clean, being somewhat bedraggled and muddy at a pub at the beginning of the Thames Path where we had tea. Judy's pristine bike didn't look quite so smart after this ill-treatment. Along the Thames Path to Hampton Court after which we had tarmac for the rest of the way. From North Cheam it was 44 miles at an average speed of 10 miles an hour, which was quite fast considering how careful we had to be on the towpaths.
Hope this is OK
Best regards Bernard
[excellent, thanks Bernard - we hope your next lead is in kinder weather]

The weather was still fairly mild and the rain had held off so, after the AGM at Hersham, most preferred a ride and Ron led around ten of us, Bill, Mark, Dave, Dennis, Beryl, Roger, Mike and Mary on their tandem, plus yours truly up the Burwood Road where we turned right into Burwood Estate emerging at Sir Richards Bridge on Queens Road. Crossing over the bridge we took a left turn into Ashley Park and then out again at Walton Bridge. Going under the bridge we joined the towpath. We took a right turn at Molesey Boat Club and five of us went to the Bell for lunch, Beryl, Roger, Mike, Mary and me. Draught beer was off, there being a hitch in the pumps so we made do with lager. That's beer anyway. They do a very nice bacon and brie baguette by the way. While this was all going on the rain started in earnest. The others who had been to the day centre were waiting for us outside all caped up. The prospect of making for Claygate for tea was not promising but Ron, Dave, Dennis, Roger, Beryl and me went into Indian file behind Ron along some pretty damp off-road (I cant find it on the map) and ended up at Claygate DC where we recovered with tea and coffee. I rode home via Esher and Hersham and it was still coming down stair rods, not to mention the showers from passing cars. The one bright spot on my journey home near Esher was a huge traffic tailback on Lamass Lane, which I was able to circumnavigate.
I clocked 27 miles and three hours ride time. By the way, it was nice to be nominated for the Arthur Jessop Shield, but like nearly everyone else I voted for Lynda, a worthy recipient of the trophy.
Yours Albert [and yours a worthy nomination, Albert]

Hi Brian I am very pleased to hear that I have been voted for the Arthur Jessop Shield. I am very chuffed that enough people voted for me to win. Thank you all very much. I am busy at The Bell this week, filling in for my manager, who is away on holiday in France. I shall be going to the Cycle Show on Sunday, then, early Monday morning I am off to Rome for a few days. I look forward to seeing you all again at Teddington the following week and to receiving and holding my shield! Bye for now, Lynda.

Olleh Brian

No comments: