Thursday, January 12, 2006

11th January 2006

From Hersham Day Centre five of us 'B' group- Gill Finlay, Toni Zeolla, Terry Lowe, Norman Goody and I rode to the Bird in Hand PH Mayford, for lunch. On to West Horsley, Squires Garden Centre for tea. Les Johnston

Ron Weedon led 'C' group to lunch at The Plough Stoke D'Abernon {so he told me}, but as neither Lynda nor Albert were present, I won't await a ride report.
Incidentally, I did write 08Dec05 to Hersham with today's date as our first 2006 visit, but didn't Janet and her team cope brilliantly in Reception, when the Day Centre was supposed to be closed for floor renewal (a current occupation of mine).

Our heartfelt condolences go out to Bernard, absent recently whilst undergoing chemotherapy, whose wife Penny died suddenly from a brain haemorrhage only days after their lovely family Christmas together.
We hope you can muster the strength to pull through this tragedy, Bernard, and hope our company in your bereavement will help you to focus on the way ahead.

Geoff Avis writes from West Bridgeford, where he and Honor have re-located, near their family: Things are almost back to normal after a hectic move and into Christmas panic, so with the computer now operational I wish you all a belated Happy New Year and many happy cycling miles. Haven't managed to get any serious rides in myself yet due to lack of time, but am expecting to get into the pleasant flat roads very close by soon for a gentle return to fitness. Having the family frequently dropping in now is a big plus however. Having just updated on several Wayfarers emails at once I wish I had been around to join in what seems to have been a very active programme.
Best wishes Geoff Avis {Missing you already, Geoff - keep in touch}

Following my forced "retirement" when I was to be leading on 28th Dec, I am to have various medical investigations to see if there is an underlying cause. Pending the results, I am to refrain from any vigorous activity and am therefore unable to participate in Club rides for the time being. In particular, I am afraid that you must assume that I am unlikely to be able to lead as scheduled on 8th February. Regards, Ken

Hi Brian, Had a prang yesterday (Monday). Front wheel became very detached and yours truly took a nose-first purler to the tarmac. Front forks splayed out extra 20deg. but fixable. Bars badly bent so a good days work to put right. Got myself a good nosebleed of course but upper right leg bruised so it'll need a couple of days and a few stiff whiskies which I would have had in the normal course. Ron keeps trying to get me on one of his three wheeled bedsteads which he has surplus to requirements, but I keep telling him I'll jack this cycling lark when I can no longer balance on two wheels!
See you next week with any luck Albert

Hi I was looking for something quite different and came across your website and a reference to Ron Weedon. As it is a cycling site (and you seem to be of a certain age) it triggered something in the distant depths of my mind! Is this by any chance the same Ron Weedon who was a member of the Wimbledon YHA group in the late 1950's or 60's who used to win the slow cycling race against Kingston (he had a fixed wheel)? Anyway it brought back happy memories and although I still have my cycle I don't use it.
Best wishes to you all. (Ron won't remember me our paths crossed only very briefly. David Howard {I asked Ron about this at Hersham today and, yes, it is he, but it was a freewheel cycle that consistently won him honours!}

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi
I'm Brian Butcher, looking for Ron Weedon he and I were friends. I introduced him to the YHA.