Thursday, February 02, 2006

1st February 2006

Hello Wayfarers and friends

We had another splendid turnout at Cobham yesterday, Ron Beams and all, despite the bitter weather. I gave a membership list (already needing amendment) to current members and we are delighted to welcome Ian Buxton (amendment 1) to our ranks. Mike and Mary, his close neighbours, introduced Ian, who we hope will continue to enjoy our company and rides. We had the opportunity to indicate which meal we desire at The Foley Arms on 01Mar06 (Beef, Fish Pie or Vegetarian). If you have a ticket but haven't yet indicated your preference, please email me now so that I can firm up numbers.

Albert writes: "Sorry folks; I have to cry off rides for a while as I have been feeling rather grotty and intend to see the quack on Thursday [good luck, Albert}. I am taking part in a documentary on the Dakota aircraft of which I used to be a driver for some yonks and the film crew which is coming from the US of A want to cart me off to Berlin during the weekend of the 11th to the 14th of this month, so I want to be in reasonable shape. If I manage to survive the Berlin winter I will be glad to get the bike out to join some of my best friends. More when I get back. All the best Albert"

Harold reports: "Albert could not make it last week for our "C" group ride but was there in spirit, as, due to a few tumbles of late, a warning to take care down the rough Test Hill path was heard as "don't do an Albert". Can't keep a good man down!"

'A' group, 17 strong with Ed leading, set off for The Jack Phillips pub in Godalming and were last seen by a Flagging Hub haring off down the A246 towards Guildford. Having officially baled out, I made my way to The Olive Tree at Sutton Green where 'B' group, led by Norman with Ian, Mary, Mike, Cliff, Gill, Les, Terry, John G and Ed C were enjoying fine fare. This was Norman's and most others first visit to this venue and I recall Frank C leading us there for its grand re-opening (ex Fox and Hounds) two or three years back, only to find the builders still in occupation. Tea at Cobham found us in the company of 'C' group, leaving few cakes for us.
Graham popped into HQ to see Mark Walters so missed lunch. However he did learn that these hostels might close at the end of 2006 (or later)

Acomb
Bellingham
Greenhead
Wooler
Alston
Kirkby Stephen
Earby
Keld
Stainforth
Langsett
Bakewell**
Matlock**
Meerbrook
Capel-y-Ffin
Dolgoch
Tyncornel
Llangollen
Trefin
Hedingham
Blackboys
Brighton**
Hastings**
Sandown**
Dover**
Ivinghoe
Steps Bridge
Lynton**
Dartington
Elmscott
Quantock Hills
Liverpool*
Rotherhithe*

* = under review
** = alternative site sought [hopefully more comfortable]


SWLDA Barn Dance tickets (£10 includes supper) are now available from Social Secretary Jen, or from Brian.

Olleh Flagging Hub

"Hi Brian I don't know if Harold is going to do the write-up. I did ask him, as I did it last week. But, in case he didn't [thanks again Lynda]: Dave led Beryl, myself, Dennis, Bill, Ron, John C, Roger, Mike W., Alan, Ron W., and Harold out of the British Legion Club, turning a left to Church Road via the Mill. We passed the cemetery over The Mole and took a track between Tilt and Downside. We turned a left into Bookham Rd., then over the Common. Passed through Lower Bookham Rd., and turned off to Chalk Pit Lane. A few moans and groans here, as it was a bit muddy, stony and steep! But we conquered - and came out to Hogden Rd/Dorking Rd and straight to The Anchor pub where lunch sitting by an open-log fire was very satisfying. We returned down Lower Rd., right at Effingham Common Rd., Horsley Rd, Downside to Cobham Day Centre. It was a cold day - Ron made it 5© on his pocket thermometer! But it could be worse - I have just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow - and they say it won't get above freezing!!! PS: I had an email from Albert [didn't we all?] - he's going to be a movie star! Bye for now, Lynda."

No comments: