Thursday, June 15, 2006

June 14th 2006

Hello Wayfarers and friends

"Brian, Having agreed to be a good friend to my daughter's dog, Freddie, by taking him for a walk this week-end, I regret to report being taken out by a high speed golden Labrador who chased Freddie and proceeded to run strait through me. What a stupid dog! My wife says it’s me that am stupid and not the dog, why did I not get out of the way? What a bitch! (the dog I mean??), no sympathy. The lady owner of the dog asked if I was OK as I lay on the floor unable to get up and did I have far to walk home? To cut a long story short I ended up in Epsom A&E for hours unable to see a Dr. as they had not turned up!! (NHS4u). I had an ex-ray and no broken bones. The nurse however described my injury as not insignificant and said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to heal. The pain on the inside of my left knee is bad if I twist it, which must be avoided. The hospital said no cycling or driving for now! I will see a sports injury guy tonight (prognosis confirmed). Looks like I won’t be out this Tue or Wed. My other concern is Dieppe Raid? Most likely I will have to curtail my participation, if at all, to getting there and staying in Dieppe. Happy cycling but avoid dogs!! Mike Morley."
Get back amongst us soon, Mike

A welcome cooler day saw a good turn out at Weybridge, which didn't include locals Margaret and Bill nor Geoff Clarke who has decided to curtail his cycling due mainly to partial loss of vision and whom we hope will return to our ranks soon.

Bob led 'A' group of Irene, Pam, Vic, Ed S, Graham, Pete B, John B, Steve, Frank H and Brian to Bagshot, via Addlestone and Windlesham. There being no JDW nearby, a new venue was found from the good beer guide, a Courage pub on the A30 that, with another leader, might well have received bye-bye Bob disdain, but which nevertheless proved another winner. We returned via Deepcut where we took to the Basingstoke Canal towpath back to New Haw and tea. Details become hazy, as your correspondent had left at Woking to catch up on World Cup football on TV.

Nine 'B' group riders, Gill, Christine, Mary, Mike, Ed C, Terry, John, newcomer Mick (Saturday Beginner group) led by Norman, rode via Addlestone, New Haw, Byfleet and Knaphill to our lunch stop at the no-smoking Royal Oak at Pirbright - Good food, good selection of beers. We returned via Old Woking and Send to tea at Watson's in Ripley. On to Cobham where we divided to our widely spread homes ie Effingham, Thames Ditton, Sunbury, Claygate, Worcester Park and Sutton.

Good 'C' group turnout again and good weather; thank goodness a bit cooler than Monday. Dave led fifteen of us from Weybridge en route for the refurbished Castle Grove at Chobham. There was Mark, Bill, Ron, Harold, Dennis, Tom, Fuzz, Chris, Roger, Lynda, Beryl, Pam, Pat and Liz apart from Dave and me and a chap whose name I did not get (so you see Lynda, your estimate of fifteen must have been a bit short of the mark, but thanks just the same). We took the road down by the canal, then through Poets Corner to Addlestone rail crossing, then over the main traffic lights and left down Addlestone Park, turning right at the end into Liberty Lane, then over the footbridge emerging in Liberty Rise and up Hare Hill, going left at the end to the Otter crossroads. On to Foxhills with a well-surfaced road towards Stonehills, but then turned right up the hill in Accommodation Road going left at the end on Longcross Road. Dave thought it was more rural but my legs told a different story! We turned left just before the M3 flyover at Chobham Common with a good downhill run to the left turn into the Chobham/Windlesham Road. They've made a good job of the refurb and the beer was most welcome not to mention the food, which was good value. We returned to Weybridge for tea via the Stonehills route. Thanks Dave.
See you next week -------------- Albert

To state the obvious, Wayfarers is a section of SW London District CTC and SWLDA membership is restricted to paid-up CTC members. Section subscription of £3 includes £1 DA contribution and was due 1st January. Also obvious is the regular presence amongst us of lapsed members and I understand we have instances of non-CTC members, not referring to those welcome on a maximum three rides trial basis. Although I have most CTC membership numbers, to avoid individual embarrassment, please email your membership number for recording on our annual return to CTC and if you haven't a 2006 DA card, let me have your lapsed £3 soon. Members from other DA sections are of course always welcome to ride with us.

Following up on our successful last week's Littlehampton tour, our Autumn tour to YHA Lee Valley is scheduled for 13-14Sep06, two nights @ £22.50 pppn (shared room) including breakfast. YHA require cash with booking, so £45 in advance is the name of the game - I will make the booking on Wednesday 05Jul06 for up to seven whose £45 I have at that time (YHA have kindly reserved seven spaces for us in an otherwise full hostel). FCFS!

Olleh officious Hub.

No comments: