Friday, September 29, 2006

September 27th

After greeting octogs Eric and Ned at The Arches coffee bar at Redhill, fifteen from 'A' group, led by Pete B, wend their way to The Jubilee Oak at Crawley, via Wonham, Betchworth, Cudworth and Ifold. If you expected a left turn, Pete took the right, and so on, leading one dissident to comment that we might make Crawley for tea. We made it by spot on 1pm. Our return took us through Charlwood, Root Hill, Brockham and Pixham to tea atop Box Hill, by which time our numbers had halved. Still with us, though, was new man Chris, whom we welcomed for his first outing with us. Chris found us via Simon Legg's recent intrepid London to Brighton night ride, which Chris will remember particularly for seeing the sun rise over Ditchling Beacon.

Hello Brian, Very nice to meet you and so many other riders on Wednesday. I enjoyed the ride and I hope I can flex the occasional weekday from work to join you again from time to time. Just thought I would drop this note so that you have my email address. Regards, Chris O’Hearn.

Hi Brian, Ed, John, Les, Phil and I rode as far as Redhill Bus Station before we stopped - John had a soft front tyre. No cause could be found so he fitted a fresh tube and we carried on hopefully. We went south, on or alongside the A23 until soon forking right into Pendleton Road to Woodhatch then regaining peace and quiet on Lonesome Lane (appropriately named). Pleased to notice the teddy bears in residence in Meath Green, soon we turned right which led us to the A217, fortunately not too busy for the short time we used it. Through Povey Cross to Charlwood where we headed south, then for a change, along quiet, shady Prestwood Lane. Ignoring my tummy rumblings and the attractions of The Lamb at Lambs Green we pressed on to Faygate arriving at The Holmbush just after 1pm. After a good lunch we retraced our route briefly before turning left into Wimland Lane then heading north with a slight tailwind through Rusper and Newdigate. Unfortunately Phil then punctured, but repairs having been completed we enjoyed tea at Denbies. At Leatherhead I left the group. Terry

A good 'C' group turnout at Molesey and still good weather. Dave led around fifteen of us en route for The Anchor at Bookham. Apart from he and me there was Bill, Mark, Harold, Roger, Ron, Beryl, Lynda, John Knox and a few I had not met before including Christine and Bernard (fugitives from B group in need of a rest). Dave really had the route buttoned up with quite a bit of offroad (which always gets me lost). We got onto Littleworth Common, then Arbrook Common, over the A3 then Esher Common. I got my bearings at Stoke d'Abernon when we entered Miles Lane from Sandy Lane thus being in the Fairmile area. We got some more offroad in River Lane at the end of which I spotted the village pump and small chapel at Downside Common. Out of curiosity I attended a Sunday service there with a congregation of ten and one of the two incumbents appropriately named Rev Paradise and Rev Kirk. From here we proceeded across Bookham Common and our destination which we all know provides good beer and lunch at a most sensible price. We came back over the common by the usual route to Cobham for tea. Dennis started out with us but I don't know what happened to him. I managed to contact the tarmac at one stage with my elbow but with the tender care of my good companions have made a speedy recovery ------------- Albert

Hi Brian, Just using this as an update. Any idea on the numbers coming (Friday 7pm to watch the epic "Lawrence of Arabia") yet? Also what about us all having a take-away, 'tis a long film after all and we don't want to waste away. My local INDIAN is doing a 50% deal for cash following its refurb. I have a few beers and large quantities of red wine could share. Unfortunately the HUBBA BUBBA pipe set has broken down. Anyway let me know. Also pleased to report my arm/shoulder is now thankfully on the mend, but reckon another week before even 'C' group riding will be possible. Cheers Nigel C.

Next week at Cobham, I should be collecting completed annual attendance records (on which I trust you will record your CTC membership number) and distributing invitations and agendas for our AGM the following Wednesday at 11am in Hersham Village Hall. When you get your agenda, please put some thought to nominating (at or before the meeting) the Wayfarer making the most significant contribution to cycling, to facilitate award of the Arthur Jessop Shield.

I mentioned last week The Mark Roy Trophy. This will be awarded annually (with certificate) to the CTC SW London Wayfarers member recording the greatest improvement in miles over their previous year's recorded mileage. NB: All cycled mileage is self-recordable. A plate has been added to the reverse of the trophy clarifying this for posterity.

No comments: