Thursday, December 21, 2006

Dec 20th

Hello Wayfarers and friends

Thanks to all that have sent or given me a Christmas card - I am touched by your kindness but will refrain from quoting all your goodwill messages to the Wayfarers - please take them as read.

A vibrant Christmas ambience greeted us at Walton yesterday, contrasting from the drab, damp, almost freezing foggy weather outside. Albert had bounced back, looking as good as ever, with little sign of scars. Rarely, there was no sign of Ed S, a notable absentee.

En route from North Cheam, 'B' group leader Les suffered a double blow-out near Old Malden and retired back home. How he managed to fix the first puncture amazes me, as when I punctured on the A244 Mole bridge by Esher, I was too cold to even remove my rear wheel, opting to walk the two miles to Walton to have a new tyre and tube fitted for me. Graham and Vic later questioned my choice of tyre, but as it was the only tyre they had that fitted my wheel and as I liked my new 700x35mm Bontrager, I was a very, vary happy (much warmer) bunnie. Thanks to John G for taking over 'B' group leadership at nil notice.

Les, our intended leader, had a puncture on the way to Walton and decided to return home, so I found myself leading 'B' ride at very short notice again today. On the towpath towards Walton Bridge, we narrowly avoided being hit by a flock of geese, taking to the air in great haste as they were chased by a dog. From the North side of the bridge we took an early right turn into Penny Lane. After passing over the river access to Shepperton Marina, we went past the entrances to the Moat House Hotel and to the Swan Sanctuary to emerge onto Fordbridge Road. We then cycled thru Lower Sunbury and Hampton and entered Bushey Park at the Dukes Head pub, emerging from the Park via the grounds of the National Physical Laboratory. We crossed the Thames at Teddington Lock and cycled up the (extremely muddy) towpath to Richmond. We crossed the Thames again using the footbridge at Richmond Lock and arrived at the Town Wharf pub at Isleworth for our lunch. All eleven of us (Carole, Christine, Gill, Liz, Stephanie, Cliff, Ed, Gerry, Roger S, me and the rider from Dulwich who has recently joined Wayfarers and whose name may be Brian, but I am not sure) managed to arrange ourselves snugly and sociably around a table designed to seat eight, and even managed to eat our meals without knocking our neighbours' plates to the floor. After lunch, we crossed Richmond Bridge and Richmond Park and cycled along the A3 cycle track to the Coombe Lane flyover. Here the majority of riders decided to make for home before dark, but a minority went to tea in Raynes Park. Cliff recorded a total of 37 miles from North Cheam to North Cheam (same as Pete's 'A' ride mileage). I understand that any 'C' rider from North Cheam would have cycled more than 40 miles today. Will we 'B' riders ever live down this disgrace? John Gould

I punctured at Old Malden, near Hogsmill crossing. I changed the tube but the valve had a list and my hands were too cold to get much air in. I bade the others farewell. I limped home, got another bike and did the ride I had planned. From 11.00 Oatlands Drive, Hanger Hill, Weybridge, Brooklands Road Parris Road Old Woking Road Rose Lane, Guildford Road Egley Road Mayford Bird in Hand PH lunch. Westfield Road Westfield Old Woking, send, Send Marsh Road West Horsley Garden Centre Les J (a glutton for punishment, apparently)

Brian, If you get this in time and have space say to Pete Mitchell "thanks for the Christmas Lunch - I owe you £5"; to Bob "sorry I let you down on the agreed Two4One meal deal. I thought you would have had two lasagnes on such a cold day instead of that undercooked raw steak". I left Walton on the Hill in sunshine at 9.40am and returned at 4pm with blue skies and setting sun. I now know why it's nice to live on a hill even though it’s a tough climb home. The rest of the day had been clouded in mist and mellow fruitlessness trying to get a drink out of Pam. Mike M

Christmas greetings to all Wayfarers and friends, particularly those far or not-so-far flung that we haven't seen lately. Enjoy the festive season and the inevitable struggle to regain new-year fitness!

Olleh festive Hub.

No comments: