Saturday, November 13, 2010

10th November - B Group

Shepperton - Datchet - Lower Sunbury - not one of our longest rides but I felt it was far enough for this time of year! I did not expect such good weather when I planned the ride after swapping with Terry who was going to lead due to John Gould being unable to cycle after his accident - get well soon, John:)

Not such a good start for Frank, he had a 'flat' at Greenos but Irene very kindly stayed with F and F to lead them to Datchet whilst the rest of 'B' group got started. I had outlined the route to Terry who agreed to back mark (without words!!), thanks buddy!

We took the road to Chertsey and then through Thorpe to Egham, across the meads and on to Old Windsor. It was here that Terry went back for Ray who had a 'needs must' divert, but Ray arrived at lunch well before Terry! I understand they took different roads to Datchet! There were 22 riders plus Ron and Doreen at the Royal Stag where the food was excellent - as well as the service. It was later that I was told Terry had punctured as we left Datchet but said that we should carry on.

Our route to Lower Sunbury was via Horton, then a right to Wraysbury which I almost missed - guess what - I was talking!! At the far end of Lammas Park, Staines (or is it Staines on Thames), it was tow path all the way to Chertsey Bridge.

As we moved on to the road, the A group came storming past!! Oh no!!

Were they also heading for the same destination as us?! The last time both groups made it to the Walled Garden we had been asked to call in and warn the staff!! No problem, as Ed passed he mentioned the bakers at Shepperton!
Quite a few stopped for tea and quite a few continued on their way! One of them being a 'first timer' Peter Tiller, who shook my hand and thanked me, and explained that he will not be out next Wednesday as he has other commitments! We look forward to seeing you again, Peter.
Frank and Francoise asked me to say thank you to Irene and I wish to thank every rider for their company - great!

Pam

No comments: