Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Group, April 11th

No rain before lunch said the man on the BBC just before I left home and 5 minutes later it was raining in Ashtead. So I togged up accordingly and set off for what became a sunny ride to Redhill. From here the first stretch was the familiar route past the hospital, then to Outwood, Bones Lane and Lingfield. From the racecourse a long climb followed through Dormansland and beyond whence the descent soon brought us to Smithers Lane. We savoured the rural peace and stopped for a photo and industrial history interlude at Furnace Pond. Now only a mile to lunch at the Fountain in Cowden and still dry. Lunch was swiftly provided and soon after two we were on our way. Its a bit of a pull going north out of Cowden straight after lunch but soon we were sweeping down to Edenbridge. On to Haxted and Crowhurst ( with the statutory stop to look at the yew) it remained dry but the clouds were building. A sharp shower just after the railway bridge caused a stop for some to don their jackets and the rain instantly ceased! Towards Tilburstow I unwisely discussed tyre life and the age of my Specialized Armadillo Elites.  So it was that fate was tempted and soon after the summit an ominous thumping from the rear wheel was felt. A splitting wall was swiftly diagnosed and I sent the party on to Fanny's while I nursed the offending object slowly homewards. Three were still in the queue when I reached there so it was a full team for tea and I made it home without further mishap or rain. About 60 miles in total.

No comments: