Thursday, November 08, 2012

7 November 2007

A-Group 7 November = Unabashed plagiarism!

A mixture of weather, daughter home from uni and a tenacious chest infection had kept me down to little more than 150 flat miles since mid-September. So, not having had the chance to reccy (how does one spell that?) a new route was out of the question, so I pinched the one Mark led exactly 2 years ago. Now, the big advantage was that plugging the route into trusty Garmin and a quick train-assisted rekky meant that pre planning was minimised. The disadvantage was that being Mark's route hills featured large and looming.

A round dozen for a Cobham start to Downside thence on through Great Bookham, with brief stop for me to repair a puncture! First time out for my new gas cannister gadget and used in anger, I heartily recommend one! Past Polsden Lacy and down the hill to the Ranmore turning, where I stopped to shepherd the group through - much to my shock and dismay several members cast doubt on my parentage as they turned past me. Here the lack of miles told and I paid the penalty for plagiarism and had the shame of being ride leader and panting up last! Dorking, North Holmwood and Brockham - past the still smouldering Bonfire from Saturday last! And on to the Dolphin at Betchworth. Classic country local - flagstone floor, log fire, good selection of ales, good food and most often populated by local land workers in for lunchtime pint. On to Reigate, up Wray lane, down and up again to Fanny's for Tea and cake.

A nice 25 mile 11's to 3's winter ride in glorious weather - and dry! Thanks Mark!

Paul K

No comments: