Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Group 18 September

Fairoaks to Puttenham

Confession time: I am a fair-weather cyclist: I wake up. It is raining. I turn over and go back to sleep.

One of these days I am going to be caught out on a day when I am scheduled to lead: Duvet Day or Gortex Day? Could be a tough call!

Not today! I have clearly appeased the Weather Gods and in a week of rain, found myself waking to a cloudy and chilly, but thankfully dry, morning.

So, off to Fairoaks it was. 19 miles to the start of the ride - most folks I know would have coronary if asked to ride 19 miles total!

I have to say, I was, in the modern vernacular, well impressed by the turnout. A good complement of A's and B's - well done all for braving the chill and the distance.

The big advantage of the far westerly start, is the opportunity to venture even further west without the ride being excessive. So, Fairoaks, Chobham, Windlesham and Bagshot it was before turning south to Frimley Green via Deepcut. Shortly before Frimley, the peloton swept up the breakaway of Vic and Tony, only to realise they were simply the B group advance party.

Due South from Frimley Green took us to Tongham, past the  Hogs Back Brewery and under the A3, then via  a well disguised off road excursion avoiding a busy section of the Hogs Back road, to Seale lane and then Puttenham Road. This stretch of road is one of my cycling all time favourites - spitting distance from the Hog's Back/A31 but part of the Pilgrim's Trail and seemingly little changed in the last couple of centuries and passing one of Surrey's last Hop Gardens on the way. Loverly!

To the Good Intent, (at exactly 1pm!!) home of good beer, even better food and, on our last visit, ultra prompt and efficient service. Ah well! The Service Gods were clearly upset that I had taken the Weather Gods for granted and at 2:45 we rode on. Might have been my fault for only booking us in at 10:45 on Tuesday night, but they were exceptionally busy with all tables occupied.

Thence up onto the Hog's Back and down into Guildford, up the Cobbles and along the A25 to West Horsley for 3's. More caffeine and calories and then an individual wend for home.


I enjoyed that day, I hope you did too!

Paul Kelly


No comments: