Monday, March 31, 2014

Harold Fifield

Many of you will have heard with sadness of the recent death of Harold Fifield. His daughter has sent the following very warm message to John Scott,  to be passed on to all Harold's friends and clubmates:

"Dear Sou'Westers / Midweek Wayfarers

I am saddened to let you know that my darling father, Harold Fifield, died on Thursday 20th March at the age of 82 from Parkinson's Disease.

As many of you know he moved up to Scotland in October 2009, after one bicycle accident too many, to be close to me and my husband as he became more wobbly. 

Dad was determined to carry on cycling, but he was eventually persuaded to hang up his cap a couple of years ago. Undeterred, he would walk up the high street with his 'wheelie' for support. Or, when this became too much, just up the road, supported by his wife and his cat 'Georgie' leading the way - much to the amusement of the neighbours! He loved his bungalow in Biggar with the beautiful views and scenery that he still enjoyed in the many country drives that we took.

He had lived with Parkinson's Disease for over 17 years until it finally took its toll leaving him fragile and virtually immobile. My mother Veena, cared for him at home until August and then visited him every day at the nearby nursing home where he was well looked after and continued to cause his own kind of mischief when he could! The staff knew about his love for cycling and his cars through the photos on the wall and the stories that he told with that twinkle in his eyes.

Dad was an energetic, generous and joyful man. I know he treasured his many years with the cycling club, both for the wonderful rides and the special company.

There will be a humanist service on Wednesday April 2nd at Mortonhall Crematorium, Edinburgh. The local florist will be making a wreath in the shape of a bicycle. Other than this, we have asked for no flowers but people can make a donation to Parkinson's UK, if they wish, by going to this website in memory of dad: https://www.justgiving.com/harold-fifield.

Kindest of regards and the family wish you all many happy days of cycling ahead."

Shivali Fifield (01501 785 110)

We send our deepest sympathy to his wife Veena and to his daughter Shivali.

Jeff

1 comment:

mike morley said...

I spoke to Shivali tonight to convey my condolences and said that I was afraid I will not make it to Edinburgh on Wednesday. I asked her to pass on my condolences to Veena. She was most appreciative! Although I did not know Harold too well I admired him and his ingenuity with classic cars! May he rest in peace and his family be consoled by the fact that he died also in peace!