Thursday, September 05, 2019

Helen's account of her accident

I sustained minor injuries following a fall from my bike at the above location on Wednesday 4 September at about 2.30 pm.

I had entered the path from the roundabout, negotiating the rather awkward blind bend. I fell off at the point where one has to bear right onto the straight bit.
 

I felt the rear wheel skid on loose gravel, which was obscured by weeds over growing the side of the cycleway. I think the wheel must have slipped off the side of the path, the bike and I went over.
 

Sum of the damage; cut and bruising over left brow, bruised cheekbone and under eye, grazes and bruising mainly down left arm/elbow and left knee, toes. Fingers of right hand, bruising inner right knee and right shin. Broken spectacles!

John and very helpful members of the group looked after me well. We stopped for about 15 minutes. Liz and Sandie offered first aid and patched up the eyebrow with a plaster. We set off again slowly when I was feeling ready. On our way, I was also given very good advice on risks of shock and concussion following a head injury.  Our tea stop at Ashtead also helped, so I felt really steady for the rest of the ride home, lead by Liz.
 

As always, the kindness and care, skills and knowledge within our group never fails to impress.

~ Helen T

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh dear ! Sorry to hear of your fall. Even more upsetting to read full details. Hope you are feeling better now and there is no long term damage. Xx

mike morley said...

Helen I saw your report the other day but have been busy collecting my final donations relating to my Pru-London 100 mile ride in aid of St. Raphael's Hospice Cheam. I finally took my donations into the fund raising office today and I have raised a total including notional Gift Aid of £1700+.
As for your accident I know exactly where it happened & I find that corner very tricky in both directions. I hope that you are on the mend and if I can be of any help in anyway, please let me know! Mike M.