Thursday, December 08, 2005

7th December 2005

Hello Wayfarers and friends

How lovely of Hazel, Thelma and Joyce to provide a KitKat for the lucky ones at Cobham, yesterday. They were delighted with their Xmas parcels (Belgian chocolates this year) and touched by our appreciation. Tom rang to say someone had left a pannier bag behind - of course it was yours truly, having needed it to get the goodies to Cobham but not missing it till too late, once empty. I should reclaim it at Leatherhead next week.

Brian - just a thank you for keeping me in touch. I am very keen to join you all again one Wednesday - work and stuff has got in the way. I miss you all and will see you all again as soon as I can. With love, Dawn. We miss you too, Dawn.

18 'A' group left Cobham in brilliant sunshine, including Jake, Pete Matthews, Pete B, Steve, Rob, Irene, Grant, John M, John S, John D, Ed, Toni, Bob, Pam and Graham (apologies to those I've missed). Our route was Downside, Cobham Park Rd, Bookham Rd, Great Bookham Common, Little Bookham, Orestan Lane, Dirtham Road Effingham (the dogs were in evidence but did not attack), A246 short drop to Dene then steep climb on Crocknorth where it was necessary for Grant to walk due to fixed wheel. Thereon further climbing over White Down to descend to Rakes Lane and a little more climbing to Abinger Hatch. Lunch was very drawn out mainly due to booked Xmas lunches. It was a staggered departure (not due drink hopefully) with the last group heading home via White Down, a little bit different to that planned. Ray

Good to see you out on our gentle ride Brian. Roger was designated leader for this ride from Cobham but since Lynda had done us the honour to organise us a Christmas lunch at the Bell at Cheam I noticed he was riding shotgun! Unless I am mistaken, there was you and me, then Beryl, Dave, Bill, the aforementioned two at the front, Allan, Harold (who arrived via a different route) and Ron. I counted twelve at the start so apologies to the other two if they read this. Being on home ground Lynda took us over a bit of Fairmile Common and a few short stretches of off-road to Nonsuch Park and a great deal of urban residential area which I could never retrace. The weather was dry and not too cold and for most of the time there was brilliant sunshine. The meal was great with turkey and all the trimmings including crackers followed by coffee and mince pies. All most reasonable. I've paid more than that for a sandwich recently. Thanks Lynda. We had a pleasant tea at Squires Garden Centre at Long Ditton. I followed Dave to Hampton Court where after lighting up, I tried the towpath for a bit but found it tricky after dark and joined the Hurst Road at Ferry Lane. My new saddle was still comfy after over four hours riding and 37 miles but my Whisky Mack went down well! God bless and see you at Leatherhead. Albert

Olleh Brian

No comments: