Thursday, March 02, 2006

March 1st Dinner Day

Another mammoth turnout at Cobham yesterday, including all our seniors except Bill Stead, who Fuzz tells me is doing well. It was great to see Jack Dowson, until recently a regular 'B' leader, looking good but suffering now with dental problems. Most of us (52 in all) were at our annual lunch, this year back at The Foley Arms, where a good meal in the banqueting hall was complemented by our traditional quiz, won in fine style by debutant 'A' leader Julian. As the quiz was prepared in a hurry and re-used some questions from 2001, I was pleased that the winner was seeing all questions for the first time. Well done, Julian - on both counts.
Hi Brian, Hope you had better weather this week! It sounded terrible for last weeks run. I wont say too much about our weather here on Furventura!!! But it's very windy and we have had a few showers the last couple of days. Had our ride out to-day, up-hill for 15 miles into the wind then down hill in the opposite direction (as good as)! We enjoy exploring the dirt roads and finding remote bars!! Today we were chatting to a group of folks who live here and one of the chaps raced against Hugh Porter in his hey day! Plus a few other well-knowns. Must go for it is time for a tipple before dinner - my best wishes to all, Ttfn Pam. PS: how is Irene? Hope she had a smooth house change. [not yet, but soon]
Brian, What a kind and generous gentleman you are, giving up your fish pie for me. I will repay you a thousand fold some time (as you know I am inclined to exaggerate) but seriously which would you like, Marks & Sparks, Iceland, Birds Eye, Young's, etc. etc. Your wish is my command. I won't make next Tuesday's offroad run as I have a meeting in Farnborough Hants. I just spoke to Terry this evening and he has been to see Godfrey this afternoon in St. Helier. He should have gone to St George's yesterday for an angiogram but is still waiting to get in, so we wish him well. I will send him a card to 20 Saint James Ave., Sutton SM1 2TH. Please tell your kid brother that I phoned Myella about accommodation in Dumfries. She was very helpful and sounded very nice on the phone but she is planning to move to Mexico before then but she has offered to send me by e-mail some suggestions (no adverse comments please). It seemed that she lived in a village about 8mls from the base at Heath Hall, so maybe not ideal. Kind regards, Mike M.
Brian, Here is our 'A' ride report: On a glorious, crisp St David's Day, Julian led a group of 19 A riders from Cobham to our annual lunch at the Foley Arms in Claygate--Ed C, Ed S, Graham, Irene, Pete B, Pete M, Grant, Bob, John S, Frank C, Frank H, Rob, Mike, Ray, Toni, Steve +2 (apologies for the missing names). We went via the Black Swan, left at the Hautboy along to Drift Lane and to Effingham Junction, up to Bookham by Little Bookham Street, across Bookham Common to Hundred Pound Bridge, under the M25 and along the track across the Mole to Tilt Road, up Fairmile Lane and Littleheath Lane to Oxshott, through the Crown estate and along the track over the A3 to Claygate and our warm welcome at the Foley Arms. All the best............Julian
Les led a twelve-strong group from Cobham to Claygate, for lunch at Foley Arms via Martyrs Green, Effingham Junction, Effingham, Lower Road, Leatherhead and Oxshott. Dry, sunny. Arrived 12.30 in good time to transport drinks on the long trek from the bar to the dining hall. After lunch members made their own way home.
Hi Brian Eight of us 'C' Group left Cobham shortly after 11.00, Beryl, Bill the Calligrapher, Roger, Dave Davies, John C, Geoff Clarke, Ron Weeden and myself. Weather was fine and sunny but very cold. The closure of Blundells Lane meant a bit of a diversion to get to Oxshott. From the Oxshott road we turned into Fairoak Lane, then through the Covert Wood to emerge into Claygate. For reasons I will not go into now [shame], I had not managed to get myself a place at the Foley Arms lunch. We had made quite good time, arriving at Foley Road at about 12.15 so I pointed the six who were going to lunch in the direction of The Foley Arms and Ron and I made for the Claygate day centre. There we met Maria and Tom Fish who were just on their way to lunch. I hope my six arrived safely at the luncheon and everyone had a good time. For myself I had a most economical lunch of sandwiches and coffee at the day centre and then made my way slowly home. Cheers Mike Withers
It's Claygate again next week for those not venturing into the wilds of Bockett's Farm, so see you wherever.

It would appear from my computer that Godfrey has been shipped out.
Hopefully, all will be well at St George's for him. He will be
Discharged from St George's to home and not back here to St Helier. I popped up to see him on Monday and he looked and said he felt very well, so lets keep our fingers crossed. He must have had an awful ride home, poor thingey.

Hope to be out next Wednesday, so see you all then.

Angie x

No comments: