Thursday, March 23, 2006

March 22nd Rides

We had a good turnout of 'A' and 'B' groups at Caterham yesterday, plus on a rare appearance there, Phil M and of course local Eric. We welcomed Will Almond back after a long absence and we hope he will be riding with us regularly. Julian told me that Bernard's progress is ahead of target and we are all delighted about this. I saw Ken Preece yesterday and he is again taking mild rides with our local Probus group.

Bob led 'A' group along the North Downs Way to White Hill, which we descended with care to join Sustrans route 21 through the wildlife parks, Redhill, Horley and Gatwick Airport to Crawley, where we again so soon sought out the Jubilee Oak for a prolonged respite. We returned via Charlwood, Leigh and Brockham to tea at Denbighs, from where Jen had to find her way alone back to Caterham - car assistance gone awry! Meanwhile, after going well on my blue Pearson bike, I ground to a sudden halt on a sharp incline at Ashtead, where I was glad of the assistance of Ed and Will in diagnosing and correcting the front mech wrench.

I had been very tempted to defect, as did Rob, to 'B' group, Norman's declared destination being Edenbridge, a favourite of mine. If I hear any more, you'll hear too!

Hi Brian, I was told by the leader to send a report of 'C' group ride, which was my first full ride since I suffered my bout of depression, and I am glad to say that I am out of this nasty ailment. Those with experience of this disease know what it is like, but those who don't know, I can explain what it is like; outwardly a person looks healthy and normal but inside is all empty and lost, no desire to do anything, meet anybody, eat anything, loss of sleep, no desire to look at, let alone ride a bicycle, in fact no desire to live. Fortunately I am feeling ok now. Back to the ride - from Teddington, Harold led our group of Albert, Ron, Beryl, John, Roger, Mike, Bill, Lynda, Fuzz, Dave, Dennis and the other young lady I did not get the name of and so can only describe her as very good looking and attractive, strong cyclist always behind the leader. Our route was very interesting, back alleyways to the banks of River Crane towards Twickenham Rugby stadium then on the tow path of Duke of Northumberland river to Isleworth where we stopped for lunch, then back towards Richmond, through the park at Marble Hill and eventually crossed Richmond Bridge. We then followed the towpath to Teddington Lock and over the lock to Bushey Park where our leader departed and with Albert also gone we intended to have tea at Hampton Court but somehow I lost the plot and came home without completing the ride and without tea. That is my story, Mark Roy {thanks for your revealing insight, Mark}

All groups are back together again next week at Shepperton, where Gill makes her debut as 'B' leader, so I guess there will be defections galore to be on her ride.

See you there. Slowing Hub.

No comments: