Friday, May 05, 2006

May 6th Reports

Our naturally somewhat sombre atmosphere at Cobham yesterday was brightened by the first welcome 2006 appearance of several assumed-lapsed members and a couple returning from unfit absence.

On this note, several friends are dealing personally with their tribute to Ron Beams, but if anyone wishes to donate to Cancer Research, Ron's nominated charity, you could send to FW Chitty & Co 5 Bridge Street Weybridge or you could add to the £25 we are donating from Wayfarers funds, passing it to me at the funeral at 10.15 Monday next 08May06 at Randall's Park Crematorium Leatherhead. I shall respect Ron's wish that cycling gear would set the right tone.

Cycling from Cobham to West Horsley can be a short, flat, pleasant pre-lunch excursion, so I believe, but fifteen strong 'A' group had a leader with a mission. Irene evidently checked out just how many and how severe climbs could be wound into this simple route and we took on the lot. Our salvation was the rarely visited (never by 'A' group) King William IV pub. Irene's next trick was to offer tea at her lovely new riverside apartment. So a trip to Staines meant, for several of the tempted, an after-lunch ride of 35 miles plus. But was it worth it! Our choice was delicious rich fruitcake or delectable iced vanilla sponge, and I can vouch for both (from Mum's remotely controlled recliner). Thank you Irene, for a day to remember, especially for refreshments with digital full stereo choral evensong.

Hi Brian, yes I did lead 'B' group, sorry I forgot the write-up! Cliff led a small band of 'B' warriors out of Cobham via Fetcham Leatherhead Sports Centre and Mickleham bypass down Pixham Lane thro the Golf Club to Brockham and thence to Bunce Lane and Leigh. Those present included Ray, Norman Robin and nice to see Neville after along time, Les, Terry and I've forgotten someone! I must not forget that I took a wrong turn down the cul de sac first left out of the British Legion at Cobham, much to the amusement of the A team. Anyway the weather was good and we had a good lunch at the Plough on the crossroads at Leigh. Returning thro Newdigate and Henfold Lane and Brockham, back over the G.C. again to Denbies for tea. Just remembered the eighth rider was Jonathon! Norman and I completed the ride back together and I clocked up 52 miles. Our 'B' ride lunch venue last Wednesday was The Turner Restaurant - not now a pub - Les

From Cobham, we enjoyed plenty of sunshine and quite a lot warmer. For some reason John handed the lead over to Phil and fifteen 'C' group left Cobham en route for The Holly Tree at Sutton Green. We had a good number of ladies along, Lynda, Beryl, Dawn, Pat and Anita. Then there was Allan, Dave, Ron, Roger, John C, Jonathon, Phil, Dennis and me. I did not get the name of that decent chap who lifted my bike over those stiles and gates. We turned up Plough Lane for the initial climb, then Hungry Hill Lane arriving on the cycle-path along the A3 going west. We then took a right turn away from the traffic noise towards Send where we joined a cycle-path going west along the old Portsmouth Road. After a bit of offroad we arrived at the pub for a decent lunch although once again refurbishment was going on and it was impossible to use the garden. We took tea at the Woodham and New Haw day centre after a ride through the woods where I lost the others for a while. Lynda tried my mobile but it was not loud enough and I heard Phil call out my name although by now I had seen the rest waiting for me. This contretemps was in the woods near Pyrford from where we made for West Byfleet and New Haw. Y'know Brian; I'm getting too old for all this!! Nevertheless I chose the short way home thro` Rowtown. I thought the tough hill would sort me out. It did! Albert Hi Brian I took these photos yesterday. It was funny that the guys lifted their bikes over the sty - someone then opened the gate! Best wishes Dawn {not attached due to potential overload of non-broadband accounts - I will pass on separately on request, but see http://midweekwayfarers.blogspot.com/ }

No comments: