Thursday, May 04, 2006

Scotland

Hello Wayfarers all

At least there have been visitors; three to be precise and none expected until the weekend so I've not been overworked. "Tha buird is rairnean air an uinneig" We whose Gaelic is up to the mark will recognise the opening line ("The window is nailed and boarded") of Sorley Maclean's poem "Hallaig" (a clearance village for the ignorant). We, that is I passed that way on Sunday during a walk up our wee mountain Dun Caan. Last weekend's weather was quite splendid and from the top I could picked out the Outer Hebrides, lots of NW Scotland (Torridon and beyond) and naturally most of Skye. More cows on the roads than cars (3 again) so a quiet bank holiday. Since then it's been downhill; groundsmen would be talking about the forking weather; nothing's drying - drought you must be kidding! But there are moments of joy - soaked day visitors trudging past wearily on their 3-mile hike to the ferry and comparative shelter. At least the accompanying wind has had a Bessemer effect on the stove, which now produces heat. But I'm having a sweep in later this week or next; I bet I'll have lots to clear up once he's gone. The bike's stayed in the shed apart from its daily trip to the shop but I'm hoping to get over to the mainland (Skye) before next weekend. I do believe the sun popping out so enough of this - I must away and put up my smoking ban notices.

Graham Hill

Rasaay SYHA Hostel,
Creachan Cottage
Rasaay, KYLE
IV40 8NT

No comments: