Thursday, April 19, 2007

C Group April 18th

Good turnout at Addlestone although the `Easy Riders` were a bit thin on the ground. The sun was still shining but it was a bit cooler than of late and I decided to wear a vest under my usual outer garment. I was glad of this later when I got stitched up at the hospital after two prangs on the way home; a jay-walker in Cobham and a bus in New Haw. But I must not digress. We had Ron leading with Roger, Beryl, Harold, Fuzz, Mark, Dennis (frequent appearencies), Bill and me. Our destination was The Old Plough at Stoke d`Abernon but some of the route was hazardous in the extreme. Having crossed the footbridge over the A3 near Wisley we got to the point where the logs are intended to stop the traffic on to Wisley airfield and instead of negotiating them as is our wont, we turned left to what must be intended as an alternative route around the airfield. This however seemed to have been churned up into deep holes and called for a lot of walking and muddy feet. Having reached tarmac again we turned down Plough Lane by The Black Swan. After a good downhill run and crossing the motorway bridge we took a right turn after which some discusion about the route and having waited for some of the others, Ron went off on his own to check up. We were in the Downside Common area, so four of us, Roger, Beryl, Fuzz and me went through the farm route to arrive at our destination. The others arrived and Ron declared tea was to be had at Claygate. Time was getting on and wishing to miss the school rush around three o`clock, I pressed on up the Stoke Road to my aforementioned nemisis.
With some bruising and nine stitches in my elbow I was able to leave the hospital by fiveish and caught the rush hour. You can't win `em all ---------------------------------- Albert

No comments: