Thursday, July 31, 2008

C Group July 30th


Pictures from Albert
Plenty of sunshine with some breeze to take off the heat at Walton where our turnout was quite high. The Powneys arrived on their tandem as did Tom but did not come with us on the ride to Nonsuch Park. With Lynda in the lead their was John C., Bill H., Dave, Helga, Beryl, Roger, Mark, Dennis, Harold, Ron, me and as I made it around eighteen at the start, a few I cant remember. We went straight on to the towpath at The Swan and made for Hampton Court. We encountered quite a number of other cyclists, walkers, dogs etc., happily without mishap on such a nice day and on arrival at Hampton Court Bridge turned right along the Hampton Court road on the cyclepath for around 300 yards before turning left to find the rail crossing gates closed. After a short wait we pressed on until I found myself in uncharted territory. I know I have taken this route before but i mentally decided to keep in touch with Roger who lives in Kingston, for company on the return journey. Some way into the park everyone stopped and a number pressed on. It was then I realised I was the one of the remaining party without sandwiches. In my feeble attempt to catch up with the others I got hopelessly lost and found myself by a main road at an entrance to Cheam Park. To make the best of my predicament I headed west through Ewell village and eventually found I had made it to the Kingston Bypass (not quite the place to be with traffic overtaking at 70 mph plus) but with my guardian angel working overtime I got to Esher and Hersham. having used up most of my water bottle and feeling the need of better stuff, I stopped for a pint at The Barley Mow. The beer was welcome but watch out for the price; £3.15!! With 35 miles on the clock at a quarter to four I made it home. Sorry I missed the rest of you but will do my best next week.---------Albert

No comments: