Sunday, May 03, 2009

Easy Riders - 29 April 2009

Weather cooler than of late but fine and sunny with a very good turnout at Elleray Hall. It seemed Ron had turned over the lead to Harold but I suspected not the sticky parts of the route. The lunch destination remained a mystery and a goodly crowd set off. Behind Harold there came Roger, Bill H., Beryl, Ron, Sonia, Lisa, Jonno, Dave, Tom, Fuzz, Les, me and quite a few more.
Having arrived via Bushy Park, I was pleased to be returning the same way as we entered Teddington Gate, but before reaching the pond we took a right turn still on a well paved surface, until reaching a spot entitled Woodland Walk where it was necessary to upend our bikes and join a pleasant if somewhat basic ride until reaching tarmac once more.
After a short ride a second more demanding bit of offroad was encountered without mishap. After emerging from this there was some discussion as to where we were to dive next into the fray. This was a real test of both skill and courage starting with a bumpy drop into a narrow slot between large clumps of briars and long grass and nettles. I was thankful I was not wearing shorts since the foliage was doing its best to dismount me. Rather than fall into some uncomfortable shrub, I started to walk when Harold returned to my aid. Upon reaching the roadway and seeing the Thames, I realised we had reached Lower Sunbury with The Flower Pot our lunch spot. Being only about three miles from home I felt it necessary to decline Harold`s kind invitation to tea at his place and made for the former. I still had over 22 miles on the clock--Albert

No comments: