Tuesday, October 04, 2011

'All the way to Alfriston, from Chichester to Alfriston ...'



The Chichester bit isn't right, nor, for that matter is the Alfriston part. But Ms Farjeon wouldn't have got on half as well with 'East Meon to Polegate', so I've gilded the lily a bit. Anyway, you get the drift - I've taken advantage of the dry conditions to ride the South Downs Way, and a jolly good ride it has been.

I set off from East Meon because it's easily accessible by train from Sutton - change at Guildford and ride from Petersfield. It's also a good place to start because it's here that the path rises up to the top of the Downs, and the real journey begins. Conditions were good, and the surface was mostly dry, but it was surprising that there were still some puddles in the sticky chalk marl in places. This is no route for a wet day.

Monday was an absolute stunner - the last day of our 'Barbecue Autumn' - with great views and warm sunshine all the way. I took lunch at the 'Ship' in South Harting, where they promised locally sourced food and a warm welcome, delivering handsomely on both. Tea was at the Boathouse, Amberley - a table by the river for home made apple pie in the sunshine. The overnight stop was in Arundel, with an easy choice of hotel - the Norfolk Arms, which is the only hotel recommended by my 1899 CTC Handbook. I did ask about the service offered in 1899 to wash and store your bicycle for 6d (2.5p, for youngsters), but apparently it's no longer available - but I could put my bike in the boilerhouse for nothing. So that was OK. Maggie came down for supper, and we ate well - me dressed in the clean clothes she had brought.

An early start this morning, as Maggie had to get back to work and I was happy to be on my way. Very prettily up on to the Downs, with the pace increasing as lunchtime neared (no elevenses). I'd had to descend to South Harting on Monday, and today was no different - I went down to the Bull in Ditchling where I ate well. It also meant going back up Ditchling Beacon, but there you are. If I have one criticism of the South Downs Way it is that there is nothing to eat at the top of the hill - take it with you, or ride down.

Today's route consisted of climbing a set of downs, rattling along the top, a whizz downhill and then repeat. Good fun, and not bad views sometimes, but generally hazy weather cheered up by occasional bursts of sunshine. A sunny run over Firle at the end of the afternoon, but shadowy as I descended to Alfriston. I rode across the river and started towards the Wilmington Long Man, but it was evident even to me that it was beginning to get dark - a quarter to six. This off road stuff is interesting enough, but it's not quick. Tarmac was the solution, and I put the hammer down for Polegate and a train home. I caught the 1804 and Maggie picked me up at East Croydon just after seven.

Not a bad little adventure. 96.7 miles, 11,901 feet of climbing and a very slow average speed. My Genesis Croix de Fer did well - it was in its element, really - no punctures, no problems.

Mark


No comments: