Monday, November 28, 2011

Hopping to Kent


I made one of my Great Discoveries today - or, rather, I noticed for the first time something everyone else probably knew. My Discovery is that trains go from Redhill to Tonbridge - indeed, if you're prepared to change at Tonbridge you can go as far as Ramsgate or Dover. The train takes about half an hour and there are two per hour - more at busy times.

So it's pretty easy to start your day's ride at the very edge of the country we normally cover, giving scope for new and interesting rides. Before people start thinking of enhanced vistas, it's not an A Group panacea, as the trains formally take two bikes. You could probably fit in a couple more with care and a willing guard, but that's about it with the off-peak trains. But it's a good option for a few chums looking to explore.

I rode towards Maidstone, picked up the Pilgrims' Way which I left at Lenham for lunch at the Dog and Bear. Nice pub with a fine CTC Winged Wheel, despite which it's not in the 1899 Guide. Johnny-come-lately, evidently. Loop round via Headcorn and home by 1630 - still just light.

Mark

No comments: