Wednesday, January 02, 2013

B Group - 2nd January, 2013

I was feeling a little unsure of myself when I left Cobham with the B group!  It was the first time I was leading a ride without having previously ridden over the route AND I had forgotten to phone the Jovial Sailor prior to Wednesday!   Fortunately Tom got the pub's number from his phone so I was able to ask/forwarn the pub before we left the British Legion.

There I was on Saturday night, four maps on the floor, plotting a reasonable ride to Ripley.


Lucky me, the ride went well, I had great back up from Frank C around the route and Irene did a grand job as back marker.  Eighteen cyclists left Cobham - past Effingham Station to the junction where we turned right, then  into 'Dog Alley'!   Out on to the Guildford Road, Epsom Road and into Blakes Lane where our cycling skills were challenged!! (Lot's of pot holes and water).   Then a left, right and left into Ripley Road, Gambles Lane and Grove Heath Road which took us almost into the pub! 
 

I had planned a few more miles but it wasn't necessary for once in Ripley Rd I realised that we could go direct to the pub to arrive at 12.45 as planned.   It wasn't far to lunch when Tammy punctured but she had plenty of help and was back on the road before one could wink their eye!!!!!
Fifteen of us sat down to eat and the service was great!   Seems that there were no other bookings for Wednesday so we were served very quickly.  (I believe the staff were pleased to see us!)
 

We took the direct route to Cobham where six of us had tea in Sainsbury's.   I do enjoy these relaxed tea stops in good company and lots of chat!
 

More good wishes for a Happy New Year, and then the ride home - and I did not get wet, well, maybe a little damp - I hope others fared the same!
 

Pam :) :)



[essay to follow...]

Per Birotam ad Tabernam

No comments: