Tuesday, May 13, 2014

FT London Sportive


FT LONDON SPORTIVE

This is to add to Mark’s great write up of last Sunday’s ride.  I share his comments re the pre-ride organisation, the marshalling and signage – all excellent.

For the record I should point out that I started after Mark and finished way ahead of him.  I expect he will be along shortly to say that I took short cuts that saved a mere 62k from the Long Route that the Gladwyns,  père et fils, rode.  Well, that is a lack of guile that you might expect from younger people who insist on using Imperial measurements.

Seriously the Medium route was a mere 104k and with only one hill in Surrey, BH, we had only 1200m or so of ascent.  This is not dissimilar to an MWW ride after including the home to 11’s leg.
I was best in class for my age group – there was no one else over 70.  Amongst the over 60s I was in the top half having sauntered after Coulsdon so as to better appreciate the architecture and other features of SE London.  At Herne Hill the steep sides to the velodrome were a little intimidating so I continued the afternoon saunter  along at the bottom of the track and let the fast boys (and girls) flash by.

I am pleased to have done it – particularly since at 06.30 the weather forecast was such that a day at home seemed the best option.

Geoffrey Shields

1 comment:

Mark G said...

Well ridden, Geoffrey. You're quite right, I think that quite a few Wayfarers would enjoy this type of event. Bring a bit of competition to the higher age groups.

Old Guys (and Gals) rule, eh?

See you at the Prudential 100 - no short cuts, next time!