Wednesday, June 10, 2015

B Group - 10th June - Report and maps

As we are so near to the longest day I decided to make yesterday's ride a little longer than usual.  We had lunch at the Thames Hotel, Maidenhead, 22 miles from elevenses.  I was surprised to see so many on the B ride for whilst inside the day centre I had the impression there were not so many riders out - yet more than twenty cyclists followed me out of Weybridge, through Chertsey to ascend into Windsor Great Park via Prune Hill (for a change)!  We were spoken to by the Park Wardens - very nicely - reminding us that we should be in groups of six with a fair gap between us (I cannot remember the distance).  'Oh dear' - said I - I thought we were and he replied by saying that we were now a peloton!!!!

We exited via Ranger Gate and met up with the River Thames via Cycle Route four, on to Dorney and then alongside the M4 to Bray. Next stop - The Thames Hotel at 1.30.   Even though the service was fast with excellent food we still did not get away until after 2.45!!!  With an easy ride back along the Jubilee River (I looked at the Wikipedia page for more info on this river.  Too much to write here but it is man made to relieve flooding, as most know, + a few other interesting snippets)... to Datchet to the well 'cycled' route to Staines when it became obvious we would not get to Shepperton Lock as planned, (or Upper Hallifords Squires) before they closed so sixteen of us stopped for tea and cakes at Notcutt's on the Laleham Road.

Thank you Terry for back marking yet once again - what would we do without you?!  Thank's to all for making the day so enjoyable and I must say - what a pleasure having Jeff and Toni D'Italia out with us for their return to Wednesday cycling.  I trust the ride was not too hard or fast ????!!!!  Also, hello to Mike Wakely who has not been out with us for some time but I understand that he wanted an easy day's cycling as he has some hard riding to do at the weekend!

Cheers, Pam :) :)


Pam's ride out to the Thames Hotel in Maidenhead for lunch (21.9 miles), then back to Notcutts in Laleham for Tea (14.9 miles).



 ~ Tim

No comments: