Thursday, October 01, 2015

B Group - 30th September

I would like to open my ride report with my THANKS - to all the riders yesterday who thanked me and congratulated me on such an enjoyable ride. I believe most of that was due to the excellent weather ! As a leader, it is great to get such positive feed back. Each and every leader has to spend time putting rides together, either by using maps, gismos, cars or however  - all taking time.  Hence, my appreciation - thank you all :) :) 

Another large group, 28 riders were counted, left Effingham a little later than intended. Nice to have the company of two of our ladies who have not been out with the B group for some time.   I asked one or two chaps to mark corners for me and it worked beautifully - saving such a large group snaking down the road!  Well done all :) :) 

First climb was up Green Dene leading to a great swoop down to the A25 from which we took the Albury road, turning at Chilworth station, up to the crossroads leading to nowhere/somewhere/elsewhere???    We then passed through Wonersh heading for Bramley station....Whilst there we gathered in front of the 'station platform' for a photo before continuing along the Downs Link cycle way, crossing the Horsham Road into Trunley Heath Road.   After taking a left into Unstead Lane we turned into what looks like an opening to some houses, in fact it is the start of a bridle path, a little narrow, even muddy in places with a fair sprinkling of nettles!  This bridle way led us to Cattershall Road, Woolsack Way, and into The Burys to the rear of The Jack Phillips - another Wetherspoons Public House!   So named in honour of the radio operator on the Titanic!   What can one say about Wetherspoon grub?   Blooming good ....a pint and a tuna jacket for less than a fiver!? 

Our return was pretty straight forward along the A3100 until a left turn into Nightingale Road where we entered Stoke Park. Over the A25 to follow the river Wey to the A3.  Apologies there from me for turning left instead of right!!! 

On through Ripley to our tea stop at Ockham Bites.....24 of us, chatting over tea and cakes!!  I guess we were all making the most of the opportunity to sit and linger in the sunshine.

 I then parted company with all but Irene and Gill for everybody else headed off in the direction of Cobham and home. My day's mileage was 60 miles. 

Great company - great weather - Cheers Pam :) :)

Photos at Bramley and Wonersh Station and at Ockham Bites

Maps on OS Landranger and Explorer:



No comments: