Thursday, January 17, 2019

A Group ride to Westcott

On a grey and drizzly morning, ten of us set off from Hersham towards West End Common then on to Bookham Common via Downside Common. From there we continued on to Effingham up to Ranmore and the descent of White Down. The drizzle had become a little heavier by then so we made a beeline towards Westcott along the A25 with a short detour via Balchins Lane into Westcott. We met Mark here, who had driven out as he was recovering from a tumble on Saturday, thankfully not too serious. The pub provided us with a good lunch. It was raining more heavily on our departure so we decided to skip tea. We set off via route 22 to Dorking and usual route towards Box Hill.
As the weather improved before we reached West Humble several of us decided to return via Box Hill and Headley or Walton on the Hill, fortunately I arrived home before the heavier rain set in, I hope the others were as lucky!
Thanks to Janice for backmarking and the rest for corner marking and good company.
Apologies for lack of route map or ride stats due to Garmin (or operator) malfunction.



Sheltering from the rain outside the Prince of Wales ready to depart.

2 comments:

Dave F said...

Home for tea at 15;30, well before the second wave of heavy showers. Very good management of the ride around the weather forecast(s). I made it 37 miles door to door from Ashtead with 2,300 ft of climb (11.3mph). ( Brian and I took the slightly shorter hilly option via "Little Switzerland" to Headley rather than Box Hill.)
Great varied ride under the circumstances.
Similar, if lightly less miles than the B's, but considerably drier it seems.

mike morley said...

Hello Keith, I had intended to go to Hersham this morning but at 8am it was cloud cover and rain @ 213m ASL Walton le Hill, so I decided I would go direct to Prince of Wales later but the the rain had really set in so I stayed at home. Well done Janice for back marking but mainly I should say I was rather short with my comment to you last week at Ellery Hall when you said "Mike 14 mph is hardly racing speed" You are right my comment was a knee jerk reaction and not very gentlemanly to a very fine lady with much cycling ability. I had just arrived as you were leaving and my brain was trying to catch its breath.