Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Trouble at Bray, or how to lose a whole ride group....

Fred Karno had a dysfunctional circus on Tagg’s Island, between Hampton and Hampton Court. The Southwesters enacted their own version of this slapstick circus act between Bray and Maidenhead where a combination of local knowledge and the rule that all corners are marked (otherwise carry straight on) conspired to leave Ged waiting at a roundabout for an hour and me losing the whole group and making my ‘billy no mates’ way to lunch at Bourne End. Now, whilst I was contemplating yet another first in my chequered career (losing a whole group) Ged staggered through the door of the  Garabaldi looking for answers. Meanwhile, the ringmaster of this comedy of errors had cycled straight past the pub, rode up Hedsor Hill and back down again after realising he was in the wrong place. I’m not naming names!

Thankfully we made our way safely and without further mishaps to our final destination at Squires in Shepperton. Joking aside, well done to all especially Alan for back marking and everyone taking responsibility for corner marking. 


I’ve heard a rumour that Ged is taking me off the ride leader list as this is the second time on my watch he has been left waiting. Anyone want the ride lead from Coulsdon?


5 comments:

Patrick W said...

Sorry to have missed the circus - didn't realize one had come to town! Looking forward to seeing you all at next week's circus, I mean lunch :)

Patrick W said...

Above post from Patrick

Simon L said...

Thanks Hans, it was a very enjoyable day out, even without the circus act. And despite everyone's best efforts, "events" do happen: we can't avoid them, we all just try our best to make them less likely.

Jeff said...

Or was this a cunning plan hatched by the group?

Geoff Gregory said...

A good ride Hans, the concern about the hill after lunch was not as bad as I though. With regards to the rumour that you would be dropped as ride leader I think you heard wrong, the thought was that you should do the next rides until you get it right, no mischievous happenings by the rest of the group during these rehabilitation rides.
Geoff