Thursday, September 23, 2021

'A' Group Ride Report for Weds 22 September (Fairoaks - Charvil - Shepperton)


No fewer than 22 'A' group riders, including two new faces, and John Bassett, welcomed back to the fold after several months absence, met at Fairoaks in glorious sunshine.  Hans and Frances had generously offered to help by leading groups and the ever-keen Frances had even braved a very unpromising weather forecast on Sunday to do a recce ride.

My group (initially Simon, Pete B, Dave V, John B and newbie Mirco, who usually rides with the Central London CTC) were second away and a little late leaving from elevenses, so I took advantage of the unusually light traffic on the A319 (officially closed owing to roadworks) and made loose and free with the first part of the route, feeling sure we would get ourselves ahead of Hans's group, or at least see them ahead in the distance.   Not a chance!   The rest of our ride to lunch was, fortunately, uneventful, and we arrived at the pub soon after 12.30, as planned.  Frances's group, the last on the road, was not so fortunate as us - Richard B very unfortunately suffered terminal derailleur failure near Wokingham, but, with the expert  assistance of Steve D and Brian G, was able to limp home train-assisted.


Service at the pub was very efficient indeed and it was a very pleasant place to have your lunch.   I was slightly disappointed with the food but I would go back.  The post-lunch cabaret, courtesy of Hans's group, more than made up for any minor shortcomings with the meals!   Hans decided his group would traverse the ford on leaving the pub, despite the dire warnings on the signs.   We observed their experiences from a distance.  Remarkably, they seemed to get across unscathed and  I was all for giving it a go myself, but two of Hans's group who had decided not to brave the waters, were now cut off from their leader and needed piloting round the diversionary route, so I was left with no choice but to keep my feet dry.   I was, clearly, bitterly disappointed!







(credits to Simon for the photos)

Now joined by Steve W and Abi, my group tackled the alternative route across a footbridge followed by two stiles and a path across a field, a much tougher challenge than riding through a few inches of water, I reckon!



After that we made steady progress home, not meeting much traffic until Staines, which more than evened things up!   A diversion along the banks of the Thames was the antidote.   At Shepperton my group chose the Lock Cafe for tea, others Nauticalia.




(A pity he wasn't around when Richard needed him)!

I'm definitely slating this ride as one to repeat next year so I can take the ford challenge - I must just remember to take a life jacket and a scuba mask!   Thanks again to Hans and Frances for co-leading, and to Dave V for back-marking my group, and thanks to everyone else - you all seemed to enjoy the ride which makes it worthwhile for the leader.

No comments: