Thursday, October 10, 2024

A group ride and freewheel competition 9 October

It was with some trepidation that I cycled to Dorking to lead the day’s ride as I hadn’t completed a recce. I’d set off to do so on Monday but as I’d approached Dorking light rain became heavy rain which became torrential. A river ran down Dorking High Street and gutters and downpipes were turned into waterfalls. Soaked through I sheltered until the rain stopped and then set off to recce the route. Within minutes there was torrential rain again and a black sky at which point I headed for home. 

Arriving in Dorking on Wednesday I realised I had a puncture. No problem I thought, with tubeless I just need to plug it. Unfortunately that highlighted an unfixable valve problem (but thanks to Steve D and Dave V for trying) and so, grabbing my helmet and gloves, it was a walk to Cogs bike repair shop for me. Dave E kindly agreed to take over my lead and I hoped to catch up in Brockham. 

Full marks to John at Cogs for dropping everything to get me back on the road. A new valve and also rim tape were needed and whilst I was there Steve D arrived to ask if I had the right helmet. The answer was no, in my haste I’d taken a helmet belonging to a lady in B group (my apologies). Steve kindly sorted out the swap.

At last I arrived at Roothill just in time to be the final person to start in the freewheel competition. Amazingly (as I’ve entered many times and never been close to the winners) I managed to stay upright as I crawled past Sue C’s flag, knocking her into 2nd place. Ged won the men’s competition and Steve D came second. I don’t have photos of the winners but here’s Neil W’s arty photo from Brockham.

The day was looking up and despite a gloomy forecast the sun was shining. 

My group consisting of Neil W, Dave E, Dave F, Clive and I set off for the Star Inn at Rusper. Andy C took Steve D, Ged, Peter S and Simon W at a faster pace. 

Still in sunshine we all sat outside at the Star Inn. The sandwiches were good for the price and although we had all cooled down we were grateful that the rain was holding off. 

To get some miles in on what was otherwise a short day we headed South where it was downhill all the way towards Horsham. At the new cycle/footbridge we were slowed down by several hundred school children in front of us but once free again we headed north east, past Strawberry Fields tea room and took a route suggested by Andy which avoided cycling on the busy dual carriageway (but substituted a muddy path instead). 

After that it was the steep climb up Wimlands Lane and lovely Surrey lanes, some of which were even downhill! Arriving in Leatherhead several of us stopped for final refreshments at Charlie & Ginger. 

A lovely day out in good company and decent enough weather. My thanks to Dave E for back marking my group and to Andy for his route suggestions and leading the second group. Also to all those involved in organising the freewheel competition, in particular to Ed for making the fantastic trophies. 

No comments: