Saturday, August 09, 2008

C Group Aug 6th

Picture from Albert

The weather was dry, overcast and rather humid when we turned up at Cobham. It was Pat`s birthday and we were treated to our elevenses. Both she and Bil came on the ride led by Ron in the absence of
Stephanie, our destination being The Anchor at Bookham. It is one of my favourites and I was quite surprised when we turned up Plough Lane. With Ron leading around ten of us there were, in addition to Bill and Pat M., Roger, Mark, Bill H., Harold, Mike, Beryl, John C., not to mention Jonno and Lisa which if my arithmatic is better than my spelling makes thirteen in all including me. At Martyrs Green near the upmarket Black Swan (no longer answering to `The Mucky Duck) we turned left and followed Old Lane as far as Effingham Junction. Then the real offroad began. Apart from a fallen tree which Ron cleared from our path, the going was not at all bad. There was sufficient mud to show up the tyre marks when the others got out of sight and we emerged without mishap on the tarmac near Bookham Station. There was the usual bit of uphill to Bookham Church where we left the picnicers and turned left at the `squareabout` for the short ride to the pub.. The food was good and promptly served and my handlebar odometer showed I had covered 17 miles. Tea, I was informed was to be near Epsom, so I in the company of Harold took the more direct route through Bookham Common to Cobham where he had left his car. By the time I arrived home I had only done a further seven miles. Dennis I was told came on the ride but took a different route (unsurprisingly). He will probably tell me about it next week. I took two pictures but one was a bit blurred so there`s only one on the blog.----------------------Albert

No comments: