Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Group Nov 26th

Wednesday 26th November A team report Frank C

As Bob S was chomping at the bit, we left the Claygate Day Centre fairly sharp at
11-10. We numbered 20, and despite my efforts, by the time we reached our destination at the Plough & Harrow Hammersmith, there were still 20 sitting down for lunch, for the usual good service and food. We consisted of Pam, Irene, Graham, Julian, Ed, John’s B. A. & S. Pete B, and M, Grant, Vic, Rob, Tony d, Jeff, Antonio, Ray, Will and Bob. Leaving the Day Centre, riding via the Scilly Isles, turning off Hampton Court Way ASAP, along Ember Lane to Hampton Court Bridge and Bushy Park, then to Teddington and Twickenham. It was here we picked up the North tow path of the Thames and back streets all the way to lunch, passing Richmond Bridge, Twickenham Bridge, Syon Park, the back of Brentford, past the league two ground (formally the 4th division side) to Kew Bridge, along Strand On The Green, Grove Park, past the Polytechnic Stadium back on the tow path, past the finish line of the Boat Race at Mortlake, and staying on the North Bank all the way to Hammersmith.
After lunch there was a decision to make, tea at Richmond Park at the golf course or Wetherspoons at Raynes Park. The later was decided as the park café was too near lunch. There were still about 10 at tea, the others pealing of to make their way home.
There were no punctures or mishaps apart from Jeff’s carrier falling to bits at Richmond, a temporary repair was made on the spot and a full service was carried out at lunch.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Date: Wednesday, 26 November, 2008,
I am writing to express my objection and disgust at the way
in which your members behaved towards me today.

Although I am a motorist, I have always believed that both
two and four wheeled drivers and riders can co exist
peacefully and have mutual respect for each other. However,
after my experience today, I am forced to revise that
opinion.

I am seriously ill at present and am undergoing various
procedures and tests. I was on my way to hospital urgently
after experiencing further symptoms when I came across
members of your club riding across the entire road and
refusing to give way.
I attempted to pass them safely and briefly tooted my horn
o warn them that I was behind. However, this only served to
leave me exposed to abusive gestures, shouting and a more
determined action on the part of your members to block the
entire road and weave in front of me. I attempted to explain
to one of your members that I was trying to get to a
hospital urgently but was told to f*** off.

I'm afraid that I ended up having to blow my horn
repeatedly and stave off the most revolting and unpleasant
behaviour from your members. I ended up so upset that I
swore back at them which I do regret.

I appreciate that cyclists do have motorists behave
dangerously and abusively towards them and I have every
sympathy with cyclists in this situation. However, today, I
really did try to relay my genuine need to get past your
members who blocked the whole road in the politest way that
could and only resorted to less polite means when provoked
and abused by your members.

I was absolutely speechless at the aggression, arrogance
and abusive behaviour of your members and can only draw the
conclusion that your club seem to enjoy provocative and
aggressive cycling to the detriment of other road users.

I am also considering contacting the police to report your
members' behaviour which not only was against the
Highway Code but also objectionably rude and abusive.

I am not expecting a response from you as your club no
doubt condones such behaviour but suggest that your members
start to realise that not all motorists are being difficult
or impatient for the sake of it and there are genuine
occasions when cars or other road users need to get past. Up
until now I have always tried to treat cyclists with
respect, it is a pity that this has not been mutual.

ebbie Cleaveley