Thursday, January 13, 2011

A ride 12th January

Eleven of us departed from Hersham in what looked to be a miserable day weatherwise. The intention was to go as direct a route as possible having booked lunch at the Volunteer, Sutton/Abinger which entailed crossing the North Downs. Fortunately it was not necessary to cape so climbing via Coombe Bottom, a longer route than White Down, was no apparant problem. It was an exhilarating ride from Shere to the Volunteer on the fast A25 and little traffic.

Pete B had peeled off as intended for home I believe. So 10 of us Bob S, Vic, Brian, Jeff, John B, Simon, Mike, Tony, Terry and self sat down to swiftly served meals in a warm and cheerful atmosphere. However although the prices were a bit on the high side the photos of volunteers on the walls did not encourage us to volunteer to do the washing up. We set off for Annies Leatherhead in good time at about 2pm. Here at Annies seven of us enjoyed a pleasant chat and left about 3:30 thinking that John, Vic and Simon would need to light up.

I am glad to report that Edd sounded much better on the 'phone and had been for a short walk. He has kindly offered to take my ride on the 23rd Feb which I hope I do not have to accept, it is nice that the Wayfarers have this flexibility.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Ray
Sorry I missed the back wheel after lunch. I had my head inside my cape and didn't see which road you took. I chose Raikes Lane and A25 to Dorking and waited awhile at the top of Chalkpit Lane, as I thought I must be in front of you. Either I wasn't or you went another way! When I reached Annies, she was already doing the washing up!
Jeff