Thursday, June 28, 2012

A ride 27 June


-->
Eleven of us set off from Weybridge, heading south for the hills. We set off eagerly up the hill towards Weybridge station, a bit too eagerly as I was later told … so after a couple of reminders, we settled down to a more reasonable pace. To Byfleet, over the M25 and via the towpath to Pyrford Road, and on through Ripley. There seemed to be yellow signs everywhere warning against parking for the Olympic road cycling. Up Hungry Hill and on to East Clandon, where Pete Barnard left us, then via Staple Lane to the Compasses at Gomshall, where we ate in the garden. New joiner Des also left after lunch as he had to be back early – welcome Des and we hope to see you again.

After lunch it was more hills – along to Peaslake where we found a Road Closed sign barring entry to Radnor Road. We reasoned that bikes could get past any obstruction, and considering the alternatives were quite lengthy, we went up anyway. On the climb we met the first of several Duke of Edinburgh award expedition groups who cheerfully told us they were lost when we asked about the closure. At the top there was a pause to draw breath and unknown to me, another wait to take photos by some. This was when I made my big mistake.... half way down the other side, taking the left fork towards Holmbury St. Mary, I should have waited at the turn... several followed me but Vic, Mike and Peter B. as back marker went straight on to the bottom of the hill. It started to spot with rain at this point, further dampening my spirits, although that was the worst we saw of the rain. On the positive side, we never saw the reason for the road closed sign.

At Holmbury our group of now six gathered to phone the others, while Jeff stopped to assist another cyclist in major chain surgery after a broken chain and derailleur. Then we were five, heading up Pasturewood Road to Leith Hill, Coldharbour and back to Dorking where, amazingly, we were joined by Mike and Peter. We set off for Annie's where Jeff caught up with us and we found Vic – so having lost 3, they all managed to find us again. About 35 miles from elevenses to tea. My thanks to Peter for acting as back marker on an eventful ride.

1 comment:

The Gannet said...

Sorry I had to curtail my ride with you on this occasion, but hopefully I'll be back out with you again, soon. Thanks for leading the ride, and to all for making me feel welcome.

My ride report can be viewed here :- http://www.thegannet.co.uk/?p=870

Regards,
Des