Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Group 29th May



A dozen of us left The Vineries, Effingham in good weather getting on the A246 to take the quiet lane to Shere as quickly as possible. The descent to Shere was exhilarating and our climb to Winterfold taken in our stride with a welcome interruption with Peter's mechanical adjustment on his bike and mine with my computer. Riding through Winterfold with its luscious trees in their Spring green best was a pleasure to be followed by another inspiring descent to our lunch place - The Little Park Hatch at Cranleigh (3 pictures above).

We all had, I believe, good gut busting meals before we left in now drizzly conditions to Ewhurst and Holmbury St Mary perhaps affected by over eating on the lumpy roads. On arriving at Wotton I unfortunately had a puncture which I was able only to sort out because of the welcome help particularly from Jeff with suitable levers and Graham with a tube having an extra long stem. Time was on our side but it was necessary for Geoffrey to leave for he had furthest to go.
We arrived at Denbies to enjoy the warm atmosphere, drink and chat leaving quietly for our homes, safely I trust. My total home to home was approx 33 mls map measurement as my computer let me down. Thank you, Mark, for your figure which I think compares and your observation that the swallows had arrived the herald of summer.

Ray

No comments: