Wednesday, June 12, 2013

B Group - 12th June (story, maps and photo)

First of all I must thank Gill for standing in for me at elevenses.   I had to be at my house when engineers arrived but was able to leave soon after.  Luckily they were knocking on my door by 10.30, so once one or two queries were sorted, I was able to get away so picked up my route in Thorpe and cycled towards the group!

My route from Weybridge was via Woburn Hill, Chertsey Bridge, Willow Walk, Ferry Lane then past Laleham golf course to Thorpe.    It was in Ferry Lane  where I met the group and was able to relieve Gill from being 'stand-in' leader:).  After Thorpe we took the lanes through Lyne and on to Chobham where we lunched at the Castle Grove.  Although there were approximately eighteen riders it did not take long for us all to be served - and the food was very good!   I noticed that we all donned more clothing when we left the pub - who said it is summer time??

To get to tea at Crockford Bridge Nurseries/Weybridge Garden Centre - I turned right from the pub, left into Carthouse Lane, through Horsell Village on to the Basingstoke Canal to the River Wey.   We left the river at New Haw and so to tea. By now our numbers had diminished but there were still 10 of us enjoying tea, coffee and cakes before we made our way back to the river, round Weybridge and onwards to Walton Bridge where, once again, there was a parting of the ways, with me turning back to Egham and Gill and co. onwards to Sunbury and further.

My thanks to Peter C. for being back marker in the morning and  thank you to Gill and Tim for 'back marking' in the afternoon when Peter left us.
Another thank you is due to Tim for mapping the ride.

I wondered if every one got home before it rained?  I was very lucky for it had started as I was approaching Staines but was indoors before it poured!!  I hope so.....thank you all for being out to-day - after all - the weather forecast was not very good!

....... Pam

The team ready to depart from the Castle Grove

The route from the Weybridge DC to the Castle Grove for lunch and then to the Crockford Bridge GC for Tea




















No comments: