Wednesday, February 26, 2014

B ride from Leatherhead, Wed. 26th Feb.

Sunshine, blue sky, only a couple of light showers, brilliant day for my first attempt to lead a B ride.  Bit concerned when I glanced over my shoulder on departing the day centre to see about 30 riders massed behind me when I had lunch orders for only 15...  Later told that 27 left with me and 14 were still with me at tea so hope all enjoyed whatever bit of my ride they did.   The pull up Hawks Hill to Bocketts Farm spaced people out nicely, the route through Norbury Park was beautiful and some took in the view point.  Then got a bit confusing  as we pulled onto the Brockham cycle path (newly resurfaced - but not all of it) and some of the party began to follow a sub group of Irene, Pam and Gill who were on a different ride and not taking the Brockham turn off.  However all were hauled into line and only a little mud at the Brockham end of the path.  Straight on to Shellwood Cross where we headed for Newdigate but turned off at Hammonds Copse to take a lovely detour through protected woodland onto a concrete farm track,  only about 10 metres of mud to walk round where the stream runs across the middle.  This was worth it for me because I was able to retrieve my waterproof trousers that I had lost on my reccy ride but which some kind person had tied around a bench half way along the path. A portion of the group wanted a road option and so did not take the path... ah you'll never know what you missed.  Lunch was fine, in and out in an hour and no complaints about the sandwiches.  Down down down , Irons Bottom and Sidlow.  A right turn and a left into a contentious little right of way - lots of private signs and a farmer that engaged Tim in conversation (Kinnersley Manor) but it is an excellent right of way with no mud.  Straighforward route to Fanny's via Fullers Wood Lane (puff up) and Cormongers (float down), and slow up through Merstham.  Thanks to Robin for letting me borrow his phone (mine was left at sch on Tues) and Tim and Carolyn for being supportive back markers with such a large group.  Especially Tim for taking the time to put all the route details into his Sat Nav.   Steph

No comments: