Saturday, October 04, 2014

Who ARE they?

Seen from the Driving Seat.
Having decided that this Wednesday Cobham would be a mile too far, I was committed to a day of cycling abstinence. Lunch was to be at Heathrow and the scenic route the outside lane of the M25 via Walton, Headley and Leatherhead. Admiring the mellowing autumn colours as I effortlessly crested Hurst Road beside Steeple Cottage, I was suddenly blinded by a tsunami of multi-coloured lycra and a caravan of highly disciplined cyclists that I proudly recognised as my Midweek Wayfaring clubmates, now viewed not from the saddle but from the driving seat. As fine a body of riders as any motorist could hope to meet. Leader Peter was obviously putting his peloton through their paces, with a reassuring downhill followed by a tasy little tester of a climb to Walton just a few hundred yards away. It really does deserve a chevron. The B Group must be challenging the 'A's for altitude and effort. I think that my next step will be the Easy Riders.
Jeff

No comments: