Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Vespula germanica strikes again

On Sunday's ride a group of us crossed the A24, Eastbourne Road, never a pleasant experience. On this occasion, however, it was more perilous than usual. When half way across, a particularly aggressive specimen of vespula germanica (you will know what I am talking about) settled inside the strap of my cycling crash helmet and, in an offensively arrogant and relaxed way, knowing that I could not defend myself, proceeded to inject its venom into my cheek. By the time that I had crossed, the deed was done and the miscreant fled.

At lunch, from my companions there was sympathy none. 'Not worth a photo' said the Secretary; 'I can't see anything'. Such is the sadistic mind-set of the serious cyclist. The medical opinion? 'You look healthy enough to me; in fact better than usual. Next please.' When recently stung in the foot, I spared our tender, wayfaring readers the shock of a photographic record. 'This time, however, I feel that the truth, however indelicate,  should be revealed.  In the light of this evidence, you will understand the reason for my somewhat reluctant absence from forthcoming rides.The camera never lies.

Jeff

1 comment:

PaulKelly said...

looks pretty normal to me!

pk