Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Hard Landing



Yesterday seemed like a nice day for a recce. I prudently waited until the sun was well up and the temperature rising.

Descending Old Malden Lane my front wheel found some black ice and I went down hard, cracking my helmet. From here my memory is a little hazy. I think I had decided to return home, and started to walk back until I found a patch of sunlight where I tried to sort myself out. I next remember talking to a couple of police officers who decided I was too confused to be left, and took me to Kingston A&E, with sirens & blue lights. The memory of driving through New Malden scattering cars and pedestrians was one of the highlights of the day.  The other highlight was the care at Kingston, where my confusion gave way to recognition of various cuts and bruises, the worst being to my ribs which makes breathing a bit painful, and laughter out of the question. 

The hospital and police were outstanding both in their professionalism and kindness.
Not sure how the bike is, but definitely no riding until I get a new helmet. 

Take care everyone.

12 comments:

PaulKelly said...

Ooch!

Black ice is a demon!

Ged Lawrenson said...

So relieved your helmet saved you from what sounds like a very nasty fall. Get well soon.

Geoff Gregory said...

Dave so sorry to read of your accident and the obvious problems that you had and have.
I’m pleased to hear that you had the same good treatment as myself after your accident
I do hope that all is well with you soon
Geoff and Christine

Tony said...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mark G said...

Well, that's very bad luck, Dave. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Terry said...

Sorry to hear that, Dave. Hope you're better soon.

Tim C said...

Dave,

I have found in the past that Old Malden Lane has a patch of black ice. On one occasion we swerved out a bit to avoid it and a car right on our tail hooted at us. The surface of that road is really bad, time they repaired it.

Sorry to hear that you have had this serious accident and I hope that you are now not feeling too sore. Great to hear that our emergency services were on the case to help you.

Tim

Frances Stewart said...

Dave
Sorry to hear that and hope you feel better in time for Christmas.
Kind regards,
Frances

mike morley said...

Dave such bad luck, I do hope that you have no lasting side effects and while I find my mountain bike hard work I think I will stick to the knobbly tyres with this cold spell. Get well soon hopefully with a full recovery.

Mike Barrett said...

Sorry to hear Dave. I hope the recovery road is much better than Old Malden Lane. Best wishes.Mike

Steph said...


Sorry to read of your accident and hope you make a speedy recovery...I'm sure Santa will supply a new helmet.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your injuries - Best wishes for a speedy recovery