Thursday, March 15, 2018

B Group - 14th March

ADDLESTONE - DONKEY TOWN - WALTON

The milder weather certainly encouraged more cyclists out yesterday.  I phoned our lunch stop pub The Hare and Hounds before leaving Addlestone to let them know I had twenty nine in the group - a few more than I had suggested on my reccie, but two guys used a different pub, to help out with over crowding!

With back markers and corner marshals organised, we set off via Green Lane, Homewood Park and Gracious Pond Road to Burrowhill.  Straight over cross roads to Valley End.  On the reccie we took a look at the new bridge in Woodlands Lane but today I thought that maybe it wasn't necessary so we turned directly into Rye Grove, continuing to our lunch stop.

On our way, passing near Chobham, Christina realised that she had been on this route before - it was her very first ride with the Wayfarers almost a year ago so she wondered if it was 'the thing to do' ... ride the same route the following year?!   No Christina, I keep all my written routes, I don't have a Garmin, and every now and again it is more convenient to look through them and 'take my pick' !

Arwyn
Which leads me to welcome yesterday's new-comer Arwyn Morgan, I/we look forward to seeing you again.  May even do the same ride again next year!!

We arrived at the pub in good time, so with bikes parked in a secure rear garden it was up to the bar to put in our orders and due to the efficiency of the staff we didn't have long to wait before our excellent meals arrived.

Leaving the pub we headed for Castle Grove, Horsell and then Woking.  Four of the group went to Woking station whilst t'others joined the canal.  Terry left us at Byfleet - we continued to Scotland Bridge Road.  From here we took the road to Addlestone, Weybridge then Walton.  It was only 3.30 at the bridge so thirteen of us made a 'big push' to the Riverhouse Barn hoping to get there in time for a cuppa and cake before it closed but turns out there are new owners of the cafe and they now close at 5pm - seven days a week!  Good to know!   Always something of interest in the Riverhouse Barn and yesterday I learnt that there was a hospital in the first and second World Wars, in Walton, especially for soldiers from New Zealand, hence New Zealand Avenue.   Gill very kindly showed me the hospital building on our way home.

Thank you corner markers - thank you back markers - thank you Tim for photos and map....and thank you all for joining me

Happy Cycling, Pam :) :)


Addlestone DC - Donkey Town - Walton-on-Thames
More photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbBd3PXODJFVR6lT2

~ Tim

No comments: