Saturday, November 17, 2018

Night Rider


Last year, I put a set of powerful lights on the Old Dawes to ride the Dartmoor Ghost.  This worked well, but, one way and another, the lights haven't had a lot of use since.  This evening, with a clear sky and a waxing moon. I thought I'd take a short ride along the North Downs, just for the fun of it, really.


I started on Reigate Hill and rode along part of the route that the A Group took in September. It was a really enjoyable ride.  There were a few people around at the car-park, looking at the view in the moon-light, but after that there was no-one at all.  Not many people walk the North Downs Way in the dark.


Views were quite spectacular, and the riding was very easy.  The Dawes is well adapted to trackways, and, as I found on Dartmoor, I had plenty of light.  The lights are a pair of rechargeable Supernovas and a dynamo powered SON. Even my old eyes could cope, and I could have managed with far less.


From now until March there's more dark than light, so on another suitable evening I'll do another of these rides.  It's a very different world.

Mark








No comments: