Wednesday, December 26, 2018

A Wayfarers' Festive Teaser - from 'Living History'!





Yesterday I felt the need for potentially embarrassing snaps of my close relatives in younger days when they might have sported inadvisable hairstyles such as mullets, or ill-judged clothing such as extremely flared, maroon trousers.   Naturally I turned to my sophisticated photographic archive, but a quick rummage in the old biscuit tins didn't turn up quite what I wanted, although, next best thing, it did produce some photos of SWLDA activities from way back when!



There is no metadata here (as I forgot to write on the back of the photos), but I think these must date from the late '80's (before you ask, we can tell it's the 1980's rather than the 1880's because there are no 'high ordinaries' visible)!    In those days, as well as the Cheam & Morden, the SWLDA boasted two other Sunday sections, the Mitcham & Tooting ('Mitoots') and the Family Section (later renamed the Downlands Section).   This picture shows a Family Section ride sometime before 1990. 

Cameras were rarely touted on club runs in those pre-digital days, so I imagine this was taken in a December or January when I was desperately exploiting the weather conditions in the vain hope of taking a winning, last minute shot for the DA photo competition!   I'm pretty sure the locale is a regroup somewhere on the way up Pitch Hill (or may be, the top of White Down).   My, but, doesn't that road surface look dodgy!    Anyway, I think that grim day we rode from Epsom to elevenses at Shere and, if the leader was merciful given the cold and ice, then headed on only as far as the Scarlett Arms, Walliswood, in its heyday at that time as a King & Barnes house, and a very popular lunch destination with us, always with a blazing log fire in the winter.   You could huddle by it and watch your Tudor Sport longs (which were de rigeur then) start to steam, and dry you damp gloves (if you bothered with them in those hardy days) on the fender.



I am out of shot behind the lens of my trusty Olympus Trip.   In the pictures I can recognise Andrew Bouchier, Stuart Downie, Di Suckling, and (I think), Derek & Sheila Monkhouse.   But there are also two others in shot who are still Wayfarers members, although, not through choice, both now only make rare appearances at our meets/rides.

No prizes, just for fun, but please leave a comment if you think you can name one or both mystery riders (another clue - one had a different name at the time of the photo, but their present name will be fine)!  And be warned (you know who you are) - I have a few other 'historic gems' which I will post in due course unless my demands are met in full!!!  (Only joking).

Festive greetings and a Happy Cycling New Year!

'Living History'


1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

Hi David,

Thanks, fascinating insight into cycling not so long ago. And not a helmet in sight.

Happy New Year!