Thursday, February 21, 2019

A Group 20 Feb: Redhill - Horley - Denbies

You don’t often hear ride leaders boasting about their route but I’m going to: it was a gorgeous route out towards Kent – quiet lanes and great views in the spring-like weather. It wasn’t my route though. On Tuesday evening I was looking forward to Neil’s ride, and then he phoned me: “<Cough> Hello Simon...”  He was unwell and doubtful he could lead the ride, would I lead it?

Neil did join us and led the first mile or two out of Redhill but then retired the back of the peloton, and after we climbed Tilburstow Hill (via a little-known metalled track he’d found), he decided to skip the rest of the morning’s ride.  Lunch was at Horley, a stone’s throw south of Redhill, but first we went way out East to Merle Common, near Oxted.  We were bowling along in the sunshine, until we turned south towards Lingfield, when I realised that Neil had made a schoolboy error in planning the route.  He had included quite a long section of riding into the wind – and there was quite a fresh breeze blowing, from the south-west.  With 20 miles in my legs already to get to Redhill, the extra 27 to get to lunch was a struggle.  I kept looking behind me and the other 14 riders were all right behind me, chatting away as if they were having a lovely easy ride. It wasn’t even that hilly.

Neil was waiting for us at Horley and we were soon (too soon) fed and watered and ready to go. It was only a short hop back to Denbies, via Leigh, Root Hill, Tilehurst Lane and Punchbowl Lane.  Neil started as leader but the peloton soon spat him out and sent him to the back.  I was next, and suffered the same fate, so Janice took over and led us the remaining distance to tea.  A lovely day out. 40 miles from elevenses to tea with a meagre 1100 feet of ascent, but 78 miles in total for me – another notch on the Eddington bedpost.  Thank you to Janice for getting us back to tea, to Geoff for back marking and for the photo, and especially thanks to Neil for the route, but not for being poorly.   I hope you are well soon, as I feel I may be coming down with something, and I’m due to lead next week...

Map
Stats:

Wind
Elevation
 

1 comment:

Ged Lawrenson said...

When I prepared the draft Rides List for Jan./Feb. I pencilled-in Simon for Redhill. He declined - gracefully, Redhill being a bit too far from Twickers for a recce.

I could do it - that is before an important event at Anfield intervened. Hence Neil, and his late-night handover!

Well blow me! I knew all the time that Simon was up to it - he just needed a little gentle persuasion from Neil to prove it. Well done!

Looking forward to your (easy) ride next week Simon: and get well soon Neil.