Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Group Ride 13th Feb, Effingham to Rusper then Destination Bikes


The beautiful, almost Spring-like weather brought a large turnout and around 18 of us set off to tackle the many hills on a roundabout route to Rusper. I was certainly glad I'd had a granola slice at the Vineries as the climb up Critten Lane, Hoe Lane, Radnor Road and finally to Rusper burnt a few calories and I think we were all ready for our lunch by the time we arrived at the Star Inn, about 1.15.

There was a short delay receiving our meals but the food was good when it arrived and we were ready to leave again by 2.15. At this point there was much enthusiasm for the group photo and several photographers sprang into action.

From Rusper we had the wind behind us and only half as many hills so we flew along and soon arrived at Destination Bikes where, with huge enthusiasm, we had great coffee and also finished off the cake. At that point, the ride was 40 miles and 3,159ft elevation since leaving Effingham.



Thank you to the corner markers, with a special mention to Jenny for taking the one we all try to avoid (the last one before the lunch stop) and Steve who was going for a PR. Thanks also to Pete for volunteering to be backstop.

It was a wonderful feeling arriving home in daylight after a lovely sunny day spent cycling with friends in the Surrey Hills. What more can one ask for?



3 comments:

mike morley said...

Good for me too Janice, my detours enabled me to check the Hilly 50 course in reverse like down White Down and up Logmore Lane only to then discover the new super highway from the pond along past Henfold to New Street "T" junction at Newdigate, its all new tarmac & a treat. Hence when we returned from the Star at lunch I took the new super highway past Henfold and surmounted Box Hill B4 you all! A good training ride for me and not holding you all up. In total 47 Hilly miles and the soak in the bath with Whisky was enjoyable! No Barbs cat is called Daisy and she is a pain in the neck. On Valentine's Day my Mrs, eldest daughter Vanessa and eldest grand daughter Millie fly off to Tenerief which is a pain as I now have to look after the cat for a week. Anyone interested in a Ginger Pussy for a week so I can go away and enjoy myself also?

Dave Vine said...

Looks like a cracking ride Janice. I'm sorry I missed it!

mike morley said...

Erratum, Thank you David for your comments, You mum and family are in my prayers!
In the meantime in case my comments have been misinterpreted we do have a ginger cat and her name is Daisy and she is female.
On another subject I have been watching David Dimbleby on Chanel 9 tonight and it was a most fascinating program about Britain, Bath and Dublin. It started off about Stourhead and I remember taking young son Tim there for the SAMS MTB series in his early teens. It was a magnificent venue when the MTB scene was taking off in the UK. If you would care to take a look do so on catch-up. Bless you all!