Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Advance details of challenging A ride to Hever 21 August

Next Wednesday (21 August) sees this month's challenging A ride and so I'm posting details with a little notice so that you can decide if this is the ride for you.

 As we go out to Kent so infrequently I'm using the route that I led from Caterham last August but with a different lunch stop. Last year the pub in Edenbridge levied a 20% service charge and so I vowed not to darken their door step again! Finding a different pub in Edenbridge that served lunch and could accommodate our bikes proved impossible on this years reccie (I went in them all). I therefore reccie'd it again (all good training for RideLondon) and stopped at the King Henry VIII in Hever which served a very good baguette and chips, large enough to make the man himself happy.

It's 25 miles and 1,637ft elevation from Caterham to Hever and after lunch we'll head 24 miles and 1,293ft towards Brockham for tea. I'm hoping to go to the recently re-opened Reading Room and I'll check it out this weekend. Otherwise it will be a small detour to Strood Green.

Totals for the day are 49 miles and 2,930ft elevation but of course we all have to cycle to Caterham first and for almost everyone this will add a fair mileage and elevation.

I've checked my Strava for last year and it tells me that I led the ride at an average speed of 15mph, which meant perfect timing for arriving at lunch and also that we arrived before the cafe closed in Brockham (there isn't much wriggle time for this). If you coped last year then you will again this year. However, if you're not sure this challenging ride is for you hopefully there's time to make other plans.

If you would like the route for your Garmin the link is

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/27052711

If you prefer to take the route from Strava you'll find the ride on my Strava on 22 July this year.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Lovely pub. Seem to recall come dubious connection with the Brink's Mat bullion robbery in 1983.