Tuesday, August 13, 2019

I'm off to Paris to ride Paris-Brest-Paris

Paris-Brest-Paris is the blue riband event of the audaxing community and has a history that dates back to 1891. Every four years over five thousand cyclists from around the world gather near Paris to ride to Brest and back. It is not a race but has a rather testing time limit of 90 hours for the 1200km (750 mile) distance.

Since I started audaxing three years ago PBP has been the aim. Last year I rode my first 600km ride (see The Souwester March/April 2019) which ensured me a possible place on the ride. This year I have had to ride a series of qualifying rides at 200, 300, 400, and 600km.

I start at 1830 on Sunday 18th from Rambouillet, near Paris and need to be in Brest by Tuesday morning. Then I have until 1230 on Thursday to get back to Paris.

Details of the ride can be found here.
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=accueil&page=edito

If you want to follow my progress there is a tracking page here.
https://track.rtrt.me/e/PBP-2019#/map
Just add my name or number (K128) to the box top right and it should show you where I am. It will only be getting information from the controls which are around every 100km so could be estimating my position.

I will be riding in my Souwester jersey (as it already has experience of cycling in France from the Dieppe Raids) and hope to have a photo of it back in Paris next week.

15 comments:

Tony said...

Chapeau 👍

Frances Stewart said...

Best of luck

Mark G said...

Have a great ride, Neil - I'll be watching the dots!

Janice said...

Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Steph said...

What a fantastic ride ! Hope you and the jersey make it back.

mike morley said...

With the very best of luck Neil, just qualifying is a major fete in itself! The very best of luck I am sure you will make it!

Steve D said...

Bonne chance mon ami!

Simon L said...

You are amazing Neil - and that's just for entering! Good luck and may you have a following wind in both directions.

Brian said...

Hope it goes well. Best of luck

Dave Vine said...

May the wind be behind you and the peloton with you. You will do it. Best wishes!

Neil C said...

Thanks for all your encouragement.I was going to turn up in Guildford today on my fully loaded PBP bike but the weather put me off - I got enough wet weather training on Monday. See you in a couple of weeks.

Ged Lawrenson said...

Pick-up a good train and have a comfortable cushion. Respect! Good luck!

Mike Barrett said...

Best wishes Neil, I hope all goes well.

Unknown said...

Neil,Bonne Chance!!!
Enjoy your ride, stay safe
Jennie & David

Tim C said...

Neil, it does sound totally loony, so quite unlike you, but I admire you greatly.

We'll look forward to monitoring your progress.

Best of luck

Tim