Wednesday, October 16, 2019

2019 Free wheel competition - results

A dampish early morning probably deterred a few people but 11 o'clock at Dorking was fine and it stayed that way (at least for the Bs) all day. As I implied in my blog, this year's hill was Root, last visited a couple of years ago.

At the hill Simon volunteered to act as lookout at the bend shortly after the start (thanks) and I talked Dave Fixie (freewheely today) Cullen into being pusher-off of competitors (more thanks). I set off first and thanks to Simon's warning braked slightly due to an oncoming car. Had I not done so I would have cleared the little bridge and stopped who knows where ?  During my descent I saw two walkers travelling in the opposite direction, they looked quizzically at me, crouched down, freewheeling and travelling fairly slowly. I told them they would see several more - 'It's a competition'.

Soon after I had marked my finishing point Mike Reynell sailed by and stopped some distance further on. Whilst I was returning to see how the ladies were faring (thanks Jennie for checking), Dave Bartholomew sailed past and stopped less than a bike's length short of Mike. Jennie was the furthest travelled lady with Janice running up.

We then adjourned to Brockham green where Tim presented the awards. As usual, Ed produced two beautiful carvings for the winners but had a cold so didn't come on the ride. Thanks, Ed, get better soon. The runners up each received a tube.

Terry    

No comments: