Sunday, April 17, 2022

A rookie sub leader’s perspective


As to Southwater, rookie sub-leader’s view.

Services offeredIt’s been on my to do list for some time to be on the front of a Wednesday ride, rather than tagging on behind but still being involved with the “W” word made it a bit awkward to fit in a recce. However, I had a Monday and Tuesday free in the preceding week and Janice needed plus one sub-leader, so I offered my services, although not being of the hoped for gender!

ReconnaissanceI met Janice and Frances by Denbies (ironically on the Sunday because Monday’s weather looked iffy!) and we proceeded In to Dorking, so that Janice could show her Garmin the starting point. Then on to the first loaded GPX section to Rusper, stopping at Tanhouse for coffee and cake (rude not to).

After a fly-by of The Star Inn at Rusper, to be déjà vued from a different direction the following Wednesday, we switched to the main GPX of the (possible) whole route and essentially just followed it. There were no major roadworks or road surface issues to plan circumventions for, so quite straightforward, which was good but I was glad to be shown the slightly fiddly cut through at the roundabout after Broadbridge Heath.

We had lunch outside at Southwater Country Park cafe, which was nice but decided that it might be too small on a wet or possibly holiday busy day but more significantly, didn’t serve beer. Back into the village and I held Janice’s bike while she canvassed a couple of pubs, the Tipsy Fox getting the unanimous vote, then we sat nav’ed our way home.

The actual ride: Started at the Christian Centre in Dorking, I was pleased not to encounter any lightning bolts and had a nice filter coffee and slab of bread pudding, which was put to good use soon after. Lots of people wished me well as a newbie, which was nice and my group were also very supportive as we set off a little after the church bell tolled.

Left down the High Street, right up and over Cotmandene, short section of quite busy A24, then down Chart Lane. It soon became apparent that the day’s bonus feature was a nice headwind – great for me as my bike position is more air brake than aero, but we pressed on undeterred. I was aware that my back wheel was getting quite a lot of attention.

I was happy with navigating from the GPX (using a Wahoo Elemnt) but the recce definitely helped avoid the need to be constantly staring at it and made it possible to enjoy the very nice route. Thanks to Mike and Steve D for being official GPS backups.

One thing that caused an issue was keeping an eye on the flock. Being a bit stiff of neck, if I look round too far or too long I’m heading into oncoming traffic when I eyes front again but the group helped a lot by shouting out when we were losing people and of course the back marker, thanks Simon.

There were a couple of mechanicals outbound caused by new bike supply delays and someone having to use an old and somewhat clapped out bike for now. Dr Simon administered first ais and we made it to the excellent lunch venue (well done whoever chose it 😊)

One of the hardest things on these rides is getting going again after the meal but we did and enjoyed the return journey, apart from a short section of the A29 and a puncture, and got to a closed Denbies at about 4.30, I have to say that I’ve never felt the place was very welcoming at the best of times. We raided the shop instead and had a sugary picnic on the benches outside to end the ride.

I enjoyed the day and will definitely sub again. Thanks Nigel VSimon LMike RRichard BSteve D and Neil W for good company and support.

2 comments:

Ged Lawrenson said...

....piece of cake, Steve! Welcome to Rides List.

Patrick W said...

Is that Victoria sponge or chocolate cake 🍰?